Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back problems? I got the bass you need!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ipodeloc, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Last weekend, I played an Aria Sensonido. It has a Solette design : just a very small body prolunging the neck (bolt-on, not a neck through), with tuners where you usually find the bridge (behind it in fact), piezo with volume and tone, and removable skeleton in an almost "classical guitar" shape.
    it was really really light, and IT SOUNDED REALLY GOOD!!!
    Yes, a kind "jazz bass" vide, and the small body allows to use it as a thumb rest until the 15th fret (apprimatively ... or maybe the 17 ...). Very cool to play "on the neck". The dealer said a fretless should arrive soon.
    It was at something like 500€ (the same in $) and if I ever need a travel bass or a 500g bass, I will consider it seriously ...
    I didn't found any reference about it during my quick search on the web, neither on Aria website nor Soloette ... but it's not a dream! I played it!

I have to go back to the store with my camera!

Only thing that was not 10/10 : it found difficult to pop the G string because there was no "body" to stop my fingers or to use as a level reference. Put for classical fingering playing, it's really like any other bass, balancing well and everything ...

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Found a pic of the guitar version.
    [​IMG]
    Was the bass similar - maybe piezo pickup?

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Or the Atlansia "Solitaire" bass???

[​IMG]

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    When the third set rolls around, I always find myself reaching for my Ashbory bass. Nothing beats a 2 lb bass. :D

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I couldn't resist - I'll post a report when it gets here.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    As I said yesterday, I couldn't resist. I once played a Soloette guitar and was VERY impressed with the concept. The BIN price seemed decent - the best on-line price I could find was about 300 Pounds, and no stateside sellers. The Aria site indicates retail in Japan is about 52,000 Yen (as I recall) - $250 is pretty good.

I'll report back. If I don't like it, I'll move it on.

What can I say - some people eat when they're having a stressful day, I spend money!

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Except perhaps something by Basslabs guys, I hear they are like 3 lbs :cool:

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    know the website for them? any idea how they sound? :confused:

9. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Site: Basslab

Heiko, the owner, is a member here at TB, and is on the panel of the "luthier's Corner" forum.

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    They sound good. Very good. Check the sample songs on their site.

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    thanks guys!

13. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    It looks like a cheapie version of the Moses Key Bass:
    [​IMG]

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's the one I REALLY want! Anybody want to lend me a few thou?

15. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    For my back problems, I already have the bass I need :cool: You can see it in the avatar. At 8 lbs., I've played it up to 1 1/2 hours straight. If that ever gets too heavy, I'd better quit (or strap on the Rob Allen).

Seriously, I wonder if there is a weight point at which you can't get a decent low end (solid bodies). I know I have to crank the bass knob on the Elrick way more than on a Roscoe, I wonder if the 1 1/2 lb. weight difference is a player.

That Key bass sure is exotic looking. Has anyone ever seen one live?

16. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Me too. I'd like that one, or its brother:
    [​IMG]

FYI:
    Moses Starhawk: 8.5 lb.
    Moses Key Bass: 6.5 lb
    Basslabs basses: 2,5~3,2 kg = 5.5~7.0 lb.

17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I forgot about Excite's Japanese translation page. Here's a (kinda) translated version of the Aira spec page - very informative:

Aria AS690B Sinsonido Bass

18. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, it showed up today. No headphones were included, so I won't get a chance to try it until later.

My first impression is favorable. It's a mahogany (?) body with a bolt-on maple neck and rosewood board. The bouts are aluminum rod covered with dense foam. It's actually very comfortable to play sitting, with no neck dive. The side of the body makes a very nice thumb rest, albeit a little low in relation to the strings. The volute (I think it's called) is an interesting feature - it keeps your hand from flying off the end of the neck. (Remember that old joke?) It is very light, but doesn’t feel toylike.

I need to do a setup, and will report back after I've played it a bit.