Back to bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pudgyhands, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Hey folks, I'm new on the board, so be gentle, it's my first time :)

I used to play bass for about a year in high school. Unfortunately, circumstances forced me to put it asside (I was young and stupid and decided football and grades were more important :bawl: Too bad for me that the bass guitar wouldn't have blown out my ACLs :meh: ). Anyhow, time passes, I graduate from college, come home to be a teacher, and decide, "Hey, it's time to make music again." But, it turns out my family gave my old bass away without mentioning it :mad: . So, I'm in the market for a bass.

I'm going for a MIM Fender Jazz Bass, and I've found a store that I trust. However, when I was trying out guitars, they only had a Standard Jazz V and a Standard Jazz 4 fretless in stock (both within my price range). I know the V is probably not a good idea for starting back up with, but how about a fretless? I can actually play my old arpeggios with reasonable acuity (for not having played 'em for a few years) on the fretless, and it sounds and feels like a really solid insturment (I don't think this particular MIM is a dog). Should I go for it, or should I just ask 'em to order me a fretted Fender Standard Jazz bass and be done with it?

Oh, and another quick question: they had a really swank feeling and sounding and looking bass--a Hammer Velocity 25, for about $600, US. Haven't been able to find squat on Hammers. Anyone with any thoughts on that?

Pudgy Hands
  2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I would "UP the Price" a little and Get a Lakland 44-01 or 44-02 (used) and IMHO they are a Thousand times better than a MIM Fender (or ANY FENDER) and arent too expensive, The quality of the Lakland Basses is FAR superior to many basses of a higher cost...
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hi, Pudge! Welcome to TB!

Actually, IMO starting fresh with either a five or a fretless wouldn't be such a bad idea. Of the two, I'd vote for going with the five - and I play only fours.

I spent an hour with a Hamer Velocity when it first came out (it was a single humbucker four), and I was *very* impressed with it for the money. Have you looked for user reviews? There may be one here at TB, and there's always Harmony Central.

Good luck with your search!
  4. Word. Welcom to TB.

And like these guys say, a Jazz bass is the way to go.
  5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Well, grades are more important.. ;)

Welcome home, Pudge!! :)
  6. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, you could always check out my Ibanez SR-305 :D. Could even throw in new pickups for you or something.

[/end sales pitch]

Either one will do fine for you but a fretless isn't always suited for every occassion even though they sound so beautiful when done right. The other thing is what Walsh has mentioned and that the low B is tough sometimes. My Ibanez's B is a little loose but it has some great growl to it.

How much are you looking to spend? We may be able to help you find something around here that will suit your needs and exceed your expectations.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Might as well start out with whatever you envision yourself wanting to play in the end. I wish that I had started on fretless 5, all those years ago. Get a teacher, at least for a few lessons. That will help more than anything else.
  8. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Does it? see what i thought to myself... I *try* self learn antil part where i cant improve any more, and then get a teacher to take me to another level ...i think in few months and few jobs later i will go for teacher...
    but getting a teacher right away... is that a better idea then what i am thinking of? or you are just pitching yourself:] :bag:

btw where you at:] maybe you know few good ones if you are close by... i mean who doesnt want to teach a "person" with big boobies... yes i have nice big boobies guys LOVE that dont they.... antil they find out i am a dude too...:( people say "big boobies help to get a job... i can argue otherwise :(

edit: never mind... i see you are in Texas.. me blind...:p still know anyone good in bay area?
  9. Folks,

Thanks a lot for your advice, I appreciate the help! I've been impressed with the density of decent folks at this site. Thanks for keeping up with the trend! :bassist:

I'm still in the decision stage, but I'm leaning to the MIM Fender. I tried the Velocity (they only had a 4 stringer this time), and I tried a G&L tribute, and both were great, but they were probably too much bass for me right now. I don't need the active electronics and all the other add-ons. I just need a solid bass to start with, and the Fender is a good one to play hard until I learn bass well enough that I'll need a swank new insturment. While the G&L and the Velocity were clearly better insturments (the Velocity had a mighty sound and I think the Tribute sounded pretty darn swank,l too), I'm not sure they were $150 better than the MIM Fender. Still, the Hammer and the G&L are tempting! I'm still in the "saving up" stage right now, but I'll let y'all know when I buy and I'll show off pictures of my baby :D .

OrionMan, thanks for the offer! I try to shop locally, though. But, if I don't like the deal I get in the end, here, I'll knock on your door.

And, again, thanks for all the advice. :)

Ugh, decisions, decisions! :confused:

Pudgy Hands
  10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That can be taken at least two ways, both correct!
  11. Oooh, ouch, I completely missed the double meaning there :oops: Guess I was too dense to pick it up :p !

Anyhow, I stick by the sentiment: the board's got a lotta nice people. :)

Pudgy Hands
  12. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    look on ebay abit too... sometimes they have prity cool stuff and prices... even for new... like i said 380$ in store for my bass got it in for 195 on ebay... in box and all with 5year warranty and its flowless... plays soooo nice...
    just be careful i geuss

good luck