1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Back to DR

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by damos, Dec 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    Hello

I install dunlop superbright strings on my 1968 jazz bass and was forced to stretch the truss rod fully. I can not have as low a action as I had before with the DR HI Beam. Nothing can beat DR for me.

Thanks

2. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    No expert here, but it doesn't seem right that any normally-sized/tuned set of strings should bottom out a truss rod.

That said, DR's are a helluva good string imo. :)

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Since OP didn't say what gauges of each brand he used, or how much he had to turn the rod, there's no way of knowing what the problem was.

4. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    hello

a real string ranking by tension would be a great idea

Thanks

5. This is easier said than done for a couple of reasons...

If you're talking about "tension" as in pulling weight, only a couple of companies publish the tension numbers.
    If you're talking about "tension" as in stiffness/flexibility, it's too subjective with too many variables, ie gauge selection, setup on the bass, etc.

6. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    hello

No I speak of the exact tension not the feeling of stiffness.