Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back to essentially 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Feb 9, 2006.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi folks,

Just rediscovered the pleasure of playing a 4er, and though I am used to 5ers now, I still feel way more easy on 4ers. Not illogical though : 30 years of bass playing, and only 2 years with 5ers.

My 2 new basses are both 4ers, and I think I'm gonna use my 5er only when absolutely needed.

This is not a "4 vs 5" thread. Just a few words to tell my own experience. I'd like to share it with anyone here who plays alternately 4ers and 5ers.

Cheers
    Jay

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Know how you feel! I went through that about 5 months ago. Got rid of all but one 5er and now only play my new crop of Fender Jazz basses.

3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm in kind of a similar situation... I think.

I've actually played mainly 5'ers. I've only been playing for 7 years. Only one with a 4. I love my low B; but feel so comfortable on a 4. Maybe it's the smaller neck, maybe it's just better for slapping. I don't know.

I only have one bass right now (Bongo 5); but I'm thinking about selling/trading it for a 4.

4. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Yes, quite some time ago I switched to six strings, had some affairs with a fretless five, and now find myself playing the old reliable, Fender Jazz Bass.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    After years of playing 5 stringer active basses with all kinds of controls...I'm just thrilled to be playing my passive 4 string P-Bass.

I forgot how much fun "simple" was. :D

I'll still pick up another 5 string sometime though.

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'm good either way- 4, 5, 6, or 7. I have some of each, and it depends on what I'm wearing how I "accessorize". :D

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Im with you. I spent a few years doing dance band stuff. I needed to play 5 to cover alot of keyboard parts. Now that I'm back in a rock band, I seldom use the 5. I prefer 4 by a wide margin. I just flip the hipshot if I need a low D

Rob

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Me too.
    Started out on 4-string.
    Went to 6-string.
    Back to 4-string.
    Then to 5 string. low B.
    Back to 4-string. also now play a 5-string EADGC.

9. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    interesting.
    I just got my first 5er (having played for 15ish years :D), I've had it for about 3 days, and I can't imagine not having the B string already.
    Maybe I'll stop using it eventually? Maybe I just play lower than you folks?

10. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Gotta be honest here....played 4 all of my "career". Never felt the need to go any farther than that..but that's me..

11. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I'd played 4 forever, just got a 5er as I mentioned above.
    Try it, you just might like it!

12. I enjoy playing 4s. But a number of times I've come up against a song that requires 5str, or perhaps a 4str with drop tuning. It's inconvenient for me to have two guitars lying around, one with drop tuning and the other with the regular EADG. So I'm a little torn as to which bass I should be looking to get in the future - 4 or 5.

13. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Just get the hipshot de-tuner. No need for a hole nother bass for just "down" tuned tunes.

14. How far does a de-tuner go though? Just down to a D? I had considered it before but how far can an E string be detuned before a good clean tone begins to be severely compromised?

15. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Started with a 4, played a 5 for a long time, played a 6 for a year, and now I'm a born-again 4-stringer.

I have much love and appreciation for the extended range, but 4-string really does it for me. In fact, I think my past experience with 5 and 6 string basses has enhanced my 4-string playing.

16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

We cover a couple metal tunes in our band. I drop tune to C in those songs. Sounds great I use Sadowsky 4 strings

Rob

17. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    I'm intrigued by the new 35" Spector that designed to be strung BEAD (though many have demonstrated that 34’ is enough for a great B string)

Since your back to 4 JayAmel, perhaps a rendezvous with a Rickenbacker is in your future!

18. Simball

Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    The 4 string just feels like home to me. Spent about 6 years playing nothing but 5 string basses - glad I did. Gotta be versitile nowadays, but I'm stickin' with my fender jazz 4 and stingray 4 for now!