1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BACK TO FLATS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GM60466, Jun 5, 2007.

1. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    About a 2 months ago, I changed strings on 10 of my basses. I took off GHS flats and set all ten basses up with Rotosounds 66s. When I am not working, I play about 4 hours a day. It didn't take much to used to the feel. What I didn't like was the extra string noise. Tonaly it was a little hard to fine tune my rig, but I eventually dialed in a sound that worked for me and those who play along side of me.
    On Sunday, I went back to flats on all of my basses. It took the whole day to set them all back up, but when I was done, each bass seemed to feel better and sound bigger than with the Rotosounds.
    Has anyone else had this experience when returning to flats?

G

2. dela217

dela217

Mar 2, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    Yes! I had the same expierence. Except it wasn't on 10 basses! After going from rounds to flats and back to rounds, I am a fan of flats now.

Michael

3. You would have thought it would have been a better idea to sample rounds on a single bass :p

But im moving to flats on some of my basses :)

(Also, maybe it was just the rotosounds, all rounds are different, and personally ive never liked them)

4. 3rdBass

3rdBass Funk in A Supporting Member

I've gone through similar experiences SEVERAL times, depending on whether I'm rockin', funkin' or jazzin'. I finally settled on a compromise; keep one set of TI flats and one set of TI super alloy rounds on each of my P style and J style basses. On my A/E fretless flats only of course and also flats on my Dark Starred semi-hollow body. Then the only dilemna is which (2) to take to a gig. :confused:

5. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    I went from DR Hi-beams to TI jazz flats, then back to DR Sunbeams and then back to TI jazz flats.

I like flats a lot more, but its always nice to play a show or two with some really bright rounds and some heavy overdrive just to remember what it sounds like.......always putting the flats back on afterwards though. :smug:

6. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    I switched to flats a few years ago and have no desire to return to rounds on anything...

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021