Back to fretless! My "new" Carvin 6-string w/ EMGs -- WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by junglebike, Dec 1, 2004.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Well, after about 3 weeks of looking around for a good fretted 5-string #1 axe, I was getting frustrated with Guitar Center's selection of Warwick, Fender, MM, Ibanez, and Schecter... All the active basses sounded sterile, except for the Pedullas, which are over $2k :bawl: and I didn't like the Fender B-strings...

I spotted a used Carvin 6-stringer on the wall, Olympic white. Non-Carvin looking electronics (hmmm.. good sign, I think...)

Oh man... what a sweet axe! Plays easy, and has the punch of a fretted bass with the growl and mwah of a fretless. With the two EMG hummers, and a pair of stacked knobs that I haven't figured out how to use yet :bassist: I could get all kinds of tones. I should be able to use this bass for just about everything (I don't ever slap anway).

The thing sounds *fantastic* through Ampeg gear -- I think the slight muddiness takes the edge off what I usually think of as a somewhat harsh EMG edge. Should work great through my Bergie NV610!

I'll post a pic when I get home and my fingers are too sore to play anymore. :hyper:
  2. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Been playing all evening... what a great bass. I need a good SVT head now.

Two questions:

1. Why is there a scrunchy on the headstock?
    2. What's the block of wood between the fingerboard and the neck pickup?

Attached Files:

3. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    The scrunchy can help mute strings when you're tapping. I'm clueless on the block of wood though :meh:
  4. If it's not the neck construction it's probably a Willis ramp between the neck and pickup.
  5. Whoa! that's trippy how the cat is staring at you in one of those pictures, it's like you planned it. :cool:
  6. Correct! 'tis a Willis ramp.

7. whoa... i just noticed the cat. Creepy! He/She makes the bass even cooler. :D
  8. cool black cat.
    awesome white bass.

9. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Hah! That's my cat Sammy... she was wigging out while I was taking pictures, and apparently wanted to be the center of attention.

So now I know it's a Willis ramp. I would guess that it's named for Gary Willis. But I still don't know exactly what it's for...
  10. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I agree. I bought a new fretless Carvin LB76 Claro Walnut blah, blah, blah. I love the way it plays and feels. I really like the sound now that I put all Bartolini electronics in it. I play it almost exclusively.
  11. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Neat -- I'd love to hear your Barts next to my EMGs! I generally like Bart tone better, particularly in a fretless. However, I really think I'm onto something using a "modern" sounding pickup (which can be harsh) with more vintage sounding amplification (which can be muddy). The thing sounds *sooo* good with an SVT head!
  12. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hey, have you ever cranked up the gain on the internal preamp? I was experimenting recently and found a real sweet spot. I turned the gain in the cavity all the way up, found a good blend position favoring the MM, set to series and boosted the treble on the front of the bass almost all the way. Bass and low mids boosted on the bass quite a bit. WOW! It gives a slight warm, overdrive, growly quality that I really dig! I never thought about getting onboard overdrive before.
  13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    It's there to allow you to easily play up between the neck pickup and the end of the fingerboard, which is a way to get a different tone.

I like to do this to get a more upright bass tone. It's pretty good if you pluck the right way... especially if you solo the bridge pickup, back off the high end, and even more so if you get the mids set right. My Zon fretless doesn't have this, so I just move up a bit further and actually play right on the end of the fingerboard itself. I've been thinkin' about putting something like that on, but just can't cotton to gluing or especially screwing anything on.
  14. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I run mine pretty flat through my Avalon U5. I run the blend on center click, but my MM pup is hotter because when I installed it, I routed the hole just deep enough so the strings wouldn't touch it.
  15. Wait... Isn't the scrunchy supposed to go over the strings (as opposed to underneath the strings, as it seems to be the case on your bass)?