Back to my Squier 5 string P Bass Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by roccobladr, Aug 18, 2009.

1. roccobladr

roccobladr

Aug 17, 2009
    My Ibanez BTB seems like its taking a crap on my so I'm back to my old reliable.

This thing is funny. I really never thought I would have kept this Squier so long, but its actually one of the best basses I have ever played on!

I need some help getting it set back up though to be able to handle the live performances.

So here are some questions:

Where can I get a replacement pickguard? I can not find one anywhere because its a P Bass style, but with J pickups.

What can I do to get rid of that hissing that it gives when I am not playing?

Anything else I should replace or what not? ( I have never had experience getting a bass setup or anything)

Here is a pic: ( i got mine in forest green)
    [​IMG]

2. You'll need to have a custom pickguard made for this one. But that's expensive. These are solid enough basses, I think they sound best with flats.

3. Replace the pots and jack, and add some copper tape shielding. As said above you will probably have to have the pickguard made.

4. roccobladr

roccobladr

Aug 17, 2009
    do you guys know if these tuners are the same as any replacement fender tuners?

it seems to come out of tune, almost to the point where im checkin my tuner pedal in between every song on stage.

5. I say replace all electronics besides the pickups, and yes Fender tuning machines should work fine. As for the pickguard, you could paint it yourself or send a tracing to a company like Warmoth. But it'll probably run you $50 if not more.

6. No, they are cheap as they can find, although I have to say I haven't had any trouble with any of the squiers I've had. Wouldn't be a bad idea to replace those if they are giving you problems.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I am going through a similar thing. I have a Yamaha BB605 modded with Bartolini electronics that has been my go-to bass for a while. I have tried several more "high-end" basses but I always seem to come back to the Yamaha. I have a beautiful sounding Sadowsky Metro M-24 right now that I really like...but I don't know if I liek it enough to justify the cost with new baby, need a new car, etc., etc.

Nothing wrong with loving your Squire. More of us need to play and listen with our ears instead of our eyes and egos.

8. Maybe I misunderstood your question. They are the same size as fender tuners like Burlington said.

9. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Just curious- what do you like about it? You mention that it hisses and goes out of tune easily. With all of the upgrades you're talking about, you may end up sinking a lot of money into it. If you really like the bass, then its probably worth it. But if you took that money, and sell the BTB, you could probably buy something else too.

Just something to think about.

10. roccobladr

roccobladr

Aug 17, 2009
    the thing i like most is the string spacing. ive played other 5 strings where the strings just seemed too close together. i also love the way pickups sound (when its not hissing lol)

my dream is to pick up a musicman sting ray 5, but i just spend 900$ on a markbass cmd121 amp, so im strapped for cash right now.

id rather just put maybe 100-150$ into this bass for now and just save up for the glory, instead of maybe buying another 300-400$ bass i might not be satisfied with.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021