Back to school

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassist4christ, Jan 10, 2006.

1. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    Who all here that have been out of High school for a while have gone back to school? I'm going to start going to embry riddle aeronautical universaty, but I've ben in the Navy a while and haven't thought about anything shool related. So for all you people who have gone back to school how hard was it?
  2. I don't have first hand experience since I went straight into University, but I have spoken to several people who took a long time away from school(ranging from 5-10) years. They said it was a bit hard getting back into the swing of things and it took them a couple of weeks(roughly 2 weeks) to adjust back into it, but they are all managing well now.

My advice is find a person/people who can help you out with stuff in the classes you are taking. Like if you are falling a bit behind with the notes, ask someone for their notes. From what I've heard, after the first week it gets easier. Also, talking to the Professors or TA's after class(not before unless its urgent, or they are somewhat early, since they too need to get ready) or during their office hours is a big help getting back into it.

If you are taking entry level courses, it shouldn't be too bad picking it up quickly since the professors do take the time to explain some things(again, entry level). They'll teach you the basics of what it is you need to know and usually these courses are a bit more lenient.

This was needlessly long. Oh well, good luck going back to school!
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Not hard at all for me. If you are a discplined and organized person, you will have no problems. Somehow, I think you probably learned a thing or two about being organized and disciplined from the navy. :D

You will be just fine. There's another TB'er at thatschool.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well in my experience, older students generally ace the course about 90% of time. It is painfully obvious that they put more time into study and they are generally the ones who ask the most questions to try and understand the material fully.

Be similarly motivated and you shouldn't have a problem in the slightest.
  5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

yeah, ray salomon.