Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back to some basics (no pun intended!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Apr 26, 2005.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Pulled out my old Fender Jazz (don't play it much these days-heavy as all hell and way too valuable to me and did I mention it's heavy as all hell??)
    Anyway- pulled it out and was playing it the other night, like I do on a regular basis around the house, and got a wild bug up my rear to take it on the gig and give it a go for a song or two.
    It really hasn't been out on a gig literally in like two years. Really. Two freakin' years. It's by far the heaviest bass I ever picked up or played. But it is the best sounding bass I ever, ever played or owned.

Let me add that this was my main gigging bass since basicly day one. Used it for years. It's been on tour with me and all around the country gigging like crazy.
    "Retired" it about 6 years ago, because it's heavy and holds a lot of sentimental value. So if something happened to it, I would be crushed.

Well........Used it all night!!
    And it's been on about 5 gigs since, along with the Victor Bailey Jazz.
    Now, don't hold me to this, but I may just go back to playing a 4 as my main bass and only pull out the 5'r when/if really needed.

I used it on a bunch of tunes that are really written on a 5 (mostly covers and such), but on most of them the old hipshot worked great to cover the parts and I didn't miss the B as much as I thought I would.

Used it with my "big" rig (well, big for me anyway :D)
    Epifani 310UL, Carver PM900 power amp and get this, a Groove Tubes Ditto Box (all tube DI) for my "pre-amp" or front end. The Ditto Box has a gain knob and puts out more than enough clean gain for the loudest gigs. In fact, it can be to loud with no problem as I was asked to turn down :)smug:) on a gig with a loud rock band.
    I had a smile on my face bigger than this guy! :D
    And received compliments from not only the sound guys on the tone but also the other guys in the band on how clear and warm it sounded.

I've been doing this about 3 weeks now and diging it a lot.
    I haven't played a 4 string exclusively on a gig in years, I always played a 5 for at least 95% of the night. But I'm diggin' the results thus far by being able to cover more than I thought I would be able to.

Kind of a nice re-discovery for me, as weird as it may sound!