1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Back to standard tuning after 9 years

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by idoru, Feb 2, 2006.

1. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    g'day everybody,

wasn't sure where to post this as it's just a bit of a ramble anyway :)

As the title says, I'm finally using a standard E A D G tuning for the first time in nine years. Our guitarist's vocal range has finally extended enough that detuning the instruments is no longer necessary.

Now, I'll grant that I still play most of our songs in drop-D, but for the last two years it's been down a semi-tone & dropped. I'm loving the string response now, so snappy, and the tone just tightened up beautifully.

Starting ~ 9 years ago, on a no-name EB-0 copy (uuuurgh), here's a list of the various tunings I have regularly employed.

E A D G (tuned, of course, to the open E of Metallica's "Sanitarium").

B E A D (Carcass, thankfully not on the EB-0!!!)

Bb Eb Ab Db F ("Roots" era Sepultura, my first 5-string)

A D A D G (Korn, or Tool, anybody?)

C G C F C (My Deftones & QOTSA phase)

C# G# C# F# (singer starts to hit his stride)

D/E A D G (today)

Ahh, so many memories... ;)

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Did you get your user name from the William Gibson novel?

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I know exactly what you mean. I just switched my bass back to EADG after having it in BEAD for more than a year. I love the presence, punch, and clarity of standard tuning. 4's detuned more than a half-step sound like poop to me. Eventually I may get a 5 to cover all my downtuning needs.

I am determined to play hard rock/metal in standard tuning. Downtuning sometimes seems like a crutch that people use to make themselves sound "hollowly" heavy. I enjoy the challenge of writing an evil sounding riff in standard E (more clarity, more expression in the bends). Now if I can just find a guitarist that thinks the same way.:rolleyes:

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have always used standard tuning. We tried going 1/2 step down once, but didn't like it.

Well, I have used drop D on 4 strings before, but that was long ago, and only for a few songs.

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I used DADA for a long while.
    I still think that it make a lot of sense. But since I bought a five string I went back to BEADG.

6. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    User name _and_ band name - it's been used before in the USA (now defunct Long Island punk band), in the UK (now the Delays) and there's a Hungarian band call 'the Idoru'... but nobody in Oz except us :)

Oh, and to Squidfinger: I mess around on guitar a bit myself, so I keep it in the same tuning as our guitarist (so I can bounce riff ideas off him). Being in standard is curing me of my Deftones habit - and prompting me to learn more Opeth ;)