Back to standard tuning after 9 years

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by idoru, Feb 2, 2006.

1. idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    g'day everybody,

wasn't sure where to post this as it's just a bit of a ramble anyway :)

As the title says, I'm finally using a standard E A D G tuning for the first time in nine years. Our guitarist's vocal range has finally extended enough that detuning the instruments is no longer necessary.

Now, I'll grant that I still play most of our songs in drop-D, but for the last two years it's been down a semi-tone & dropped. I'm loving the string response now, so snappy, and the tone just tightened up beautifully.

Starting ~ 9 years ago, on a no-name EB-0 copy (uuuurgh), here's a list of the various tunings I have regularly employed.

E A D G (tuned, of course, to the open E of Metallica's "Sanitarium").

B E A D (Carcass, thankfully not on the EB-0!!!)

Bb Eb Ab Db F ("Roots" era Sepultura, my first 5-string)

A D A D G (Korn, or Tool, anybody?)

C G C F C (My Deftones & QOTSA phase)

C# G# C# F# (singer starts to hit his stride)

D/E A D G (today)

Ahh, so many memories... ;)
  2. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Did you get your user name from the William Gibson novel?
  3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I know exactly what you mean. I just switched my bass back to EADG after having it in BEAD for more than a year. I love the presence, punch, and clarity of standard tuning. 4's detuned more than a half-step sound like poop to me. Eventually I may get a 5 to cover all my downtuning needs.

I am determined to play hard rock/metal in standard tuning. Downtuning sometimes seems like a crutch that people use to make themselves sound "hollowly" heavy. I enjoy the challenge of writing an evil sounding riff in standard E (more clarity, more expression in the bends). Now if I can just find a guitarist that thinks the same way.:rolleyes:
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have always used standard tuning. We tried going 1/2 step down once, but didn't like it.

Well, I have used drop D on 4 strings before, but that was long ago, and only for a few songs.
  5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I used DADA for a long while.
    I still think that it make a lot of sense. But since I bought a five string I went back to BEADG.
  6. idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    User name _and_ band name - it's been used before in the USA (now defunct Long Island punk band), in the UK (now the Delays) and there's a Hungarian band call 'the Idoru'... but nobody in Oz except us :)

Oh, and to Squidfinger: I mess around on guitar a bit myself, so I keep it in the same tuning as our guitarist (so I can bounce riff ideas off him). Being in standard is curing me of my Deftones habit - and prompting me to learn more Opeth ;)