1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Back to the basics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pappabass, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Like a lot of us, we go thru several styles of basses. 2 volume controls 3 tone controls, winding/coil position switches. I recently bought a Fender Mex P with EMG's. So I am back to 2 knobs,,, My other bass has the 2 volumes, 3 tone controls, 18v for wide range of tones. But I am starting to like the simplistic approach of the P bass. The EMG's seem to have a little wider tone response. I don't have to worry about switches getting bumped, batteries, turning the wrong knob, etc. If I need a little different sound that the single tone control will not give me, I can tweak the amp. I am pretty old school and generally like only a few of types of sounds, this works well for me & type of music I play. Don't get me wrong, I still like the clean, punchy & deep mix of sounds I get from my active bass. How about you guys?

2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm a fairly simple guy myself... I only have 1 active bass and even then, I "set it and forget it" and don't mess around too much with knobs once I get the sound/tone I like.

pappabass and garp like this.
  3. Glasiron

Glasiron

Jan 15, 2016
    Colorado
    Both have their merits. I like having at least one bass with an active preamp that can hit just about any sound I want, but I also really like having at least one simple passive bass that I can just plug in and play. Two different tools, and I like having one or two of each!

pappabass likes this.
  4. I buy expensive basses with elaborate control schemes, and then I like to leave them home while my Peavey Fury goes to the gig and on the record.

slantedpanted and pappabass like this.