1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Back to the Bass

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by thefruitfarmer, Feb 28, 2006.

1. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    I started playing the bass at 13 years old and I am now coming back to it at the age of 43....

:bag:

I recently traded my old Rickenbaker 4001 in for a new Fender Precision "s1" which is just the right bass for me now. I much prefer it to the old Ricky, which despite being like losing an old friend I have had since 1983, I always found it impossible to slap on .... and although the Ricky has a lovely middley sound it never had that really heavy bottom end.....

A whole new world has opened up before me...:cool:

I dug up my old copy of Tony Oppenheim's "Slap it!" and have started going through the exercises again and am noticing a slow but steady improvement. I have just ordered a copy of his latest book mainly for the convenience of the CD rather than that floppy record that came with the original version.

Now I just want to get up to speed so I can record my hip hop tunes......

I love the sound of synths but there is nothing that can touch the sound of a bassline played well on a real one of these...:bassist: