Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back to the Bass

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by thefruitfarmer, Feb 28, 2006.

1. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    I started playing the bass at 13 years old and I am now coming back to it at the age of 43....

:bag:

I recently traded my old Rickenbaker 4001 in for a new Fender Precision "s1" which is just the right bass for me now. I much prefer it to the old Ricky, which despite being like losing an old friend I have had since 1983, I always found it impossible to slap on .... and although the Ricky has a lovely middley sound it never had that really heavy bottom end.....

A whole new world has opened up before me...:cool:

I dug up my old copy of Tony Oppenheim's "Slap it!" and have started going through the exercises again and am noticing a slow but steady improvement. I have just ordered a copy of his latest book mainly for the convenience of the CD rather than that floppy record that came with the original version.

Now I just want to get up to speed so I can record my hip hop tunes......

I love the sound of synths but there is nothing that can touch the sound of a bassline played well on a real one of these...:bassist: