Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back to the Bassics. I Need a new Girl.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ColdFingerz, Dec 18, 2001.

1. ColdFingerz

ColdFingerz Guest

Dec 17, 2001
    Simi Valley, CA
    In the market for a new Beauty...Looking for a five string to compliment my Incredible level of Skill.:rolleyes:

Okay, the skill part was kinda out there, but I really am looking to buy a decent 5-string.

I have a budget of about 900.00, and I'm looking for shouts on peoples preferences. Any body partial to their own Make/Model?

Just Curious.

2. Fender American Jazz 5.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Musician's Friend still has some NS-5CR's in solid red & solid black for $999!!!!!! $500 off the regular price!!!!!

<a href="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=011217131954208138202199152647/search/g=home/detail/base_id/42454"><font size=3 color=red>CLICK HERE</font></a>

4. You can get a custom Carvin LB75 for around that much. It of course depends on the options you choose for your bass. Mine was $960, came with a hardshell case and is beautifully constructed.

5. Whatever you get do not get an Ibanez

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Why not? :rolleyes:

7. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Maybe he still thinks it's popular to bash Ibanez :rolleyes:
    (Or not, just saw his reply below ;))

I'd reccomend trying the Ibanez BTB-series. I'd say try the mid or top line ones, or even the 405's (I have one, it's great :)).

(Lol, jeeze, I need to get my posts right the first time rather than editing them a bunch of times :p)

8. Ok maybe I should of explained. I have an Ibanez Soundgear bass and those things suck. I haven't tried the BTB's that everyone says is pretty good so I can't say about those. Just don't get a Soundgear, mine rattles too much and I wish I had never bought that bass. I'm much happier with the Fender jazz fretless I rescently bought.

9. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Ew, I wouldn't recommend the SR's either. BTB's are good, and I've heard many people like their EDC and other models, too.

I'd also recommend the US made Fender Jazz and Precision. I really liked the US Deluxe Precision, but unless you find a good deal or find one used, it might be just a little out of your price range.

10. ColdFingerz

ColdFingerz Guest

Dec 17, 2001
    Simi Valley, CA
    Damn, Im hopeless. You guys all have such strong convictions, man.

Im a sissy, and need to do some homework to catch up on all Im missing out on. Im checking all these linkz, and these basses look Incredible.

I can't wait till I get my new one...Oooooh....:p

11. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Ibanez ATKs kick ass if you can find one.

12. Hey Coldfingerz, did anybody welcome you to Talkbass? Welcome anyway. A BTB405QM w/case would run about $700.00, and you could get some accessories with the remaining $200.00 I don't own a BTB, but have played all the models more than a few times; they are excellent basses. Don't be put off by the Ibanez name. Also, a lot of people here recommend the MTD Kingston. I haven't played one, but, from the feedback here, they're a pretty good instrument as well. Also, check out Yamahas.

Good luck,
    Mike J.

13. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    5 is one too many...

*get a 4!* :D

14. Definitely try the Yamahas. I don't know how much the RBX765 costs in the US but they are really great basses. Especially for the price.

15. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    worth the extra bills if you can afford it.

16. or you can get the Yamaha TRB 5 string model.

i think they look much nicer than the RBX, but that's just my opinion.

why do i hear that Yamaha's have noisy electroncs?

is this true for all their models? I remember trying out a TRB 6 string (used) at GC...and it did have pretty noisy electronics...but only when i got the tone i wanted...which was a growly tone. Otherwise it was quiet. But I think it is still a good buy.

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA