Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back to the drawing board, need some strings for my 75 Jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bkchang79, May 10, 2003.

1. I'm looking for a light gauge nickel roundwound string for my Fender 75 Jazz, preferably 100-45. And a string that can be found in most music stores, i.e. sam ash, guitar center. Here are some of the strings I've used in the past.

DR Highbeams: Lately the last 2 sets of highbeams became dull within days. The string is a little stiff for me. I usually get 105-45.

DR Fatbeams: These strings felt good with my stu hamm bass, but they felt just like the highbeams.

DR sunbeams: I had these on my fretless and I'm in love with these strings. Too bad no one stocks these damm strings.

DR Lo-riders: Man these things are stiff, but I did get some good harmonics out of them.

GHS boomers: They don't last, but in terms of playability I liked them, one of the reason's why I want to try nickels again.

Ernie ball: A very bright string, can't get a consistent tone out of them

Dean Markleys blue steel/ D'addario XL: I got them when I first started to play bass, I forgot how they felt. Never bought them again though.

TI flatwounds: I love these strings, but I'm not going to put flats on my Jazz since I'm looking for a hi-fi sound with the jazz. Very flexable strings and easy to play, but I don't think they would handle slapping too well.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    There's always Slowounds.