Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

back to the drawing board....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stangg, Apr 25, 2001.

1. Stangg

Stangg Guest

well, here i am, looking for a 6 string bass. and first, i want to get rid of the tone i don't want, and try all the contenders left. i want someone to tell me the brands that DO have the m&M sound(metallic and muddy, like nirvana, or sometimes flea) so i can rule them out. or, someone can tell me a 6-string bass under 1,000 smackaroons that doesn't have that sound. (i'd go for a spector, but they have only 1 6-string model, and i couldn't afford it on my life. i'm 14, for god's sakes!)

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You're misinformed about the Spector family. :) The Spector NS2000Q6 is $799 list according to the Spector website. It doesn't have the same sound as the more expensive one, because of the passive pickups... but they can be replaced (right?), and you'd have yer 6-string Speckie for under 1000 smackaroons. ;)

But they're nothing like the more expensive ones though... no carved body, no neck-through, might be good enough for you anyways? Try one.

3. Stangg

Stangg Guest

and a light came down from heaven...

4. The pickups are passive but it does have an active preamp. I was wondering about EMG passive pickups, I heard bad things about them. In paticular the selects. What does everyone think about the passive EMGs?

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's more of a pickup question there ClayDirnt, but I'll tell you anyway: It's ok. It's EMG. It's passive, as in not active. To me, they sound pretty good. Nothing that makes your socks drop, but definetly sufficent.