Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back to the Spector family, 5 months early...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeLorean, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Back in June, I had ordered a couple basses that were going to take a while to get. The one I was told to expect in October (and isn't likely to arrive on the 31st, being Sunday and all...), a Lakland US hollowbody, still isn't here. I'm not surprised nor worried, it will get here eventually. Pics will come then, as it is a custom color not on the chart.

The second was one of the water cured redwood burl Spector NS-5XL limited edition basses, which I was told to expect no sooner than the end of February. It is at least 5 months early, and a work of art. The watercured redwood burl looks amazing, the picture doesn't do it justice (I'll try for better later, being 5 months early when I won't have it paid off for two more weeks is painful...). The rosewood fretboard is beautiful, with as close to straight grain the whole length as I think is possible in nature. The abalone inlay is as figured and colorful as I've ever seen, not only in the neck inlays but in the Spector logo in the headstock as well. Visually, a work of art. Sound wise, it is a US Spector with EMG-40DC pickups and the 18 Volt Spector preamp (volume, p'up select and stacked treble/bass knob). The tonal difference between it and a maple US NS-5XL is almost non-existant, so if you have heard one of those you have heard this. Really not that different from a Czech neck through 5, in spite of the difference in preamp (actually had a buddy playing one of those at the same time through identical gear to compare). I'm looking forward to bringing this one home. :) I haven't had a Spector since I sold my Korean bolt-on 5 over a year ago, quite an upgrade in that respect.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10214&stc=1

BTW, the odd splash of color at the bottom of the pic (should be the side but I didn't rotate it...) is my wife's shirt.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wow, lucky you are. Gorgeous bass.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
  4. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Welcome home! That is a BEAUTIFUL bass! :)

5. Thanks, guys. It is good to have a Spector again, even if I have to visit it in the shop for a little while longer. Sadly, great gear just seems to create GAS for more great gear... Thankfully less powerful GAS as the previously alleviated GAS holds the volume down... :D

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    SCHWEEEEEET! That is possibly one of the nicest rosewood fretboards I have ever seen. Absolutely stunning.. gotta love Spector! :bassist: :bassist:

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Wow,

That thing IS gorgeous, DeLorean...

8. I dunno if I like it or not......I'm having a bit of a crisis in my head cuz im a tit, but beautiful wood.

9. That is OK, you are allowed to not like it. I'd rather have honest disagreement than polite lies. I like it, which in regards to my bass is all that really matters (just as for everyone else and their own instruments). I'm always happy to see people excited and happy with their new gear, even if what they are happy about doesn't suit my tastes. I'm happy with this as I like the Spector sound, the neck feels great in my hand and I think it looks fantastic.

As for being a tit, I've never seen a small bird playing bass so that might be interesting. :p

10. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    that's a sick bass dude. now I know 2 ppl with one. You and Mike Kroger.

11. You know Mike?

12. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Not personally. I just know that he has one of the Buckeye Burl 5-strings.

13. Ahhh, I was gonna say! I wish I knew someone who knew him personally....I managed to track down Chad's email, but that aint hard cuz it's his work email. I can't find any way of contacting NB at all.