1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Back Track Software for Mac

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jazlikethat, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Jazlikethat

Jazlikethat

Feb 25, 2008
    Hello I'm going to be buying a Mac and at the same time I'm thinking about incorporating backtracks into a singer + guitar duo deal I'm working on. I was wondering if any of you with experienc in Apple world knew of a program I can use to start making/playing backtracks with. I'll be playing mostly jazz and note I'm pretty computer savvy but not music producer status. Thanks for your help.

2. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Garage band comes with your mac and has a few hundred basic loops. It's really, really easy to use, but its features are limited compared to a mixing and editing application like ProTools or pro composition software like Cakewalk or Acid. Even a free audio editor like Audacity has more in the editing department.

It is however really good for quick and dirty recording and laid back fun composition. It can record from an input, system or otherwise (I've recorded stuff on my system mic and put them up on craigslist as audition samples, and people where astounded that I could get decent sounding drum and bass stuff out of a eraser sized microphone) and you can use it with a USB keyboard. They also sell loop packages with like 2,000 extra loops for like $30 each. I was thinking about getting the drum loops package myself, since that is all I use it for, drum tracks for bass noodling.