Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back-up Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by red40, Apr 3, 2003.

1. red40

red40

Mar 25, 2003
    Wilmington, DE
    Since my SVT has been in the shop I've been stuck using my guitar player's Hartke 2000. Well, last night's show proved that the Hartke isn't a viable backup amp, I was either clipping the amp (at low master volumes) or I couldn't hear myself. So now I am thinking I want a tube amp as a backup for the SVT, but I don't know what my options are.

I could get a second SVT, but thats $$$, I could get a V-4B, but will 100W work with a Mesa and JCM on stage? There's also a vintage Sunn, I just don't know what model to look out for. Or I could try to track down a Fender 400PS but they seem rare. Any suggestions what else might work for me?

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Seems to me the purpose of a backup is to have something you are sure will work when the other fails. If you own 2 vinatge amps I would bet the chances are greater of both of them being in the shop at the same time. How about a GK 700rb or 1001rb. Good pro amp and for not a whole lot of money for a good used one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2520673945&category=10171