1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Back-up Axe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nanook, Aug 24, 2000.

1. When I was a working musician, I used my Fender fretless almost exclusively. Then we starte to do some funk, and it sort of ran out of zip. So I got an Electra Jazz copy. For the few songs in which frets were a plus, it did the job nicely.

Currently, I own 3 basses and play them in rotation. The fretless Jazz for improv and blues, the Kawai for jazzier, more progressive stuff, and the Precision Deluxe for funk and rock. The trio has quite a bit of flexibility in tone.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

For me, the term "back up" bass means something different than has been interpreted here. I interpret "backup bass" to be a bass to grab if a string breaks or battery dies or neck falls off or some other disaster occurs while playing. So if I were playing my Tobias Bassic five, grabbing a fretless bass or a Precision wouldn't be a true backup because there would be a marked difference in tone.

For me a backup bass would have to be quite similar if not identical to the bass it was backing up, so if I were to have a true backup to my Tobias Bassic Five, it would ideally be another Tobias Bassic Five, although the body could be a different color. My Tobias is a burled wood, medium tone, so maybe a darker shade of wood would do, but nothing so dramatic that the tone of the sound would be different. Frankly, up to now, I haven't had the luxury of a true backup bass, but have had to substitute with my Ibanez or my Jackson five string...and there IS a difference in tone, unfortunately. I'd love to have another Tobias, and when I win the lottery, I will buy a couple more. ( LOL.) Jason Oldsted

3. JMP

JMP

Aug 17, 2000
    Years ago I had a chance to get a good deal on a '76 Ric. Since I already had a nice '75 Ric I went for it so I'd have a backup. It was there if I needed a backup for any reason, but I also kept the E string tuned down to C and used it in a couple of songs, so it got some practical use. Now that I'm not gigging I have it around as my experimental bass. Any modifications will get done on the '76 Ric so I can make sure it'll work and I really like it before I do it to the '75.

4. LeftyBass

LeftyBass

Jul 20, 2000
    THe guys in my band have a joke that if Jesus came back, I'd have to ask him to heal my bass. For the longest time I only had this cheap Ariana (like squire but for Aria) p-bass and everytime we would have a gig something would go wrong just before or during the gig. If there is sucha thing as bass leprosy, this thing has got it! That's why I have a back-up now. Actually the Ariana is my back up, but I am so paranoid that my new Dean will do the same thing sometime (once bitten twice shy I guess) that I always take the Ariana with me to any gig. Actually, I may be getting a SECOND back-up today, I gotta go play it though. I'm still paranoid about my leper bass, so I need a back up for that.

5. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Its all been said, but awww heck, I'll weigh in anyway.

I always bring my back up bass to every gig cuz i know the show i dont bring it to will be the one i need it at.

PS: its a tobias 5 string

6. I've gotta agree with Brewer- You'll probably only need it if you don't have it with you. Its Murphy's Law. I always have two basses with me- and in the unpopular opinion, mine are almost identical; MIA Fender PBass and my Mexican model (which was a great $300 purchase- it plays surprisingly well)