1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Back up bass for under $500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by squeally dan, Oct 17, 2013.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    My main bass is a 90s Fender Jazz bass. I also have a Warrick but I think I'm going to have to sell it to get done cash. I'd like to get a cheaper backup. I can't decide if I should get another Jazz bass since I like it or go for something different. Should I get another 4 stringer or get a 5 as a backup? What do you guys think?

2. senp5f

senp5f

Jan 27, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Since it's your backup, why not make it something you've always wanted to experiment with but never wanted to spend a big chunk on?

I'm a passive Fender four string guy (P bass), but I sure think those sterling by music man five strings look cool! I bet a used one could be had at $500.

For $500 you could have a quality instrument if you are careful. I say go as far from your main bass as you can!

3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Squier VM J or CV P

/thread

4. exltd001

exltd001

Sep 12, 2012
  5. This, or the VM P/J and VM P or J 5'er. Also might consider the VM Jaguar, also available in a 5.

6. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Your 5-string is a 6-string and your 6-string is a 5-string. I think you need to swap.

7. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    Schecter Model T in the clsasifieds

8. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Yup!

or tick off two "must have" boxes and get the Squier VM Fretless Pbass!!

9. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

Mar 16, 2006
    California
    Another vote for VM or CV Jazz. Maybe a used MIM.

10. chilepunkbass

chilepunkbass

Apr 15, 2013
    $hile
    like always, it depends on the sound you want, is you want something for very old music get a 51 p bass or a copy of it, but if you're a p bass kind of person you can get a fender mim, a peavey fury,, a squier, etc

11. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    For my money I'd get a used Carvin. Given their relatively poor resale value, you can get a ton of bass for that kind of money on the used market. The larger chunk of their basses are roughly jazz-based but with active electronics, in four-, five-, and six-string models, so it would be easy to find something reasonably familiar but with enough differences to give you some nice options.

12. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    How can they sell for that low of a price? Are they really decent quality? Anyone else use one?

13. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    Are these really decent quality? If so, seems hard to beat, especially for a backup.

14. I agree. I play a MIM JAZZ and MIM Precision most of the time, but I usually have my Carvin B5 with me as well.
    I picked it up for $425 US and use it for some reggae type work and like to have it as a backup as well. It doesn't hurt that the neck is the most comfy I've played

15. JustLikeJericho

JustLikeJericho

Aug 28, 2013
    I would look into a Squier VM series bass. Serious quality for the money - watch out, though. It may quickly become your main. =P

16. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    I love my VM P, as well.

but yeah, it's not even a question, lol

17. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    SQUIER VM p bass jazz bass or any of Squiers new line up GREAT BANG FOR YOUR BUCK :bassist:

18. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

With respect, I must disagree. If the Dan is looking for a "backup bass", as in "something to fall back upon if my main gigging bass should catastrophically fail in the middle of a show", wouldn't something that's relatively close to his mainstay be preferable? I'm not saying "go for something exactly the same", but perhaps staying close to the ballpark would serve him better should he need to switch instruments mid-show.

Here's something a fellow TB'er linked to in another thread a couple o' months ago, and it's within Dan's stated budget while still being brand-new. Specifically, it's an active 24-fret Fender Jazz bass. Just a little food for thought.

19. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I was going to make this point too. As a "backup" bass you want to be able to play it if you need to. So you don't want to get too far away from your normal instruments. For example a fretless if you have no experience playing fretless probably isn't a good "backup".

On the other hand I don't go with the "two identical basses" backup plan either. My idea is two basses that complement each other but where each is capable of finishing the gig should the need arise. Fretted and fretless pairs are common for me, but a 4 string and a 5 string works too. Or an active and a passive. Fender and Ibby. Lots of combos. It's really up to you.

Or you can just do the backup that is ONLY a backup like my SX that always stays in the truck "just in case". Close enough you don't have to drive home in case there is a disaster, but still just basics to get you by until the end of the gig. Which is different from a complimentary pair you actually may switch between in the sets.

20. Squier VM. Watch out, it may become your main bass. I speak from experience, that's what happened to me!