Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back-Up Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Jan 8, 2002.

1. do any of you know any good back up basses for under 300 bucks? and please no squiers, but do any of you have any suggestions? i need a bass that i can use when i feel like torturing a bass but dont wanna use my sweety jazz. and if any of you may know..how are those OLP basses? good enough for a back-up?

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Not much under $300 that is really worth getting IMO. The OLPs are ok.. nothing great.. but not terrible.. Easily Upgradable from what I hear. You can probably get a used bass. MIM fender jazz or P maybe.. In that price range you are really going to have to play a lot of basses. some are decently made. some are crap.. just play as many as you can get your hands on..

peace,

jim

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Why not?:confused:
    Considering your "Current setup", all Fender style, a Squier Jazz seems to be the alternative.

Squiers are, as all Fenders, individuals. If a shop has two, you can bet your behind that one is lousy and one is good!
    If I was a Fender man, needing a cheapo beater bass, I would hesitate for less than .1 sec's.
    Just make sure you try it first...

4. I had a Japanese P-bass that I bought used for $250. To this day it was one of the best playing basses I've ever owned.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Just buy something used, Mexican Fenders are easily found for $250 or less and you can find some US Fenders if you look around enough (I have a US made P bass I bought for $200 with the case).

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    ive heard of people buying used ibanez ATK's (made in korea) for 300 bucks. nice bass.

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I'd sell you my like-new Dearmond Pilot Pro 4 (2-piece ash body, 5-piece maple/walnut neck, 35" scale, humbuckers, 3-band active eq) for $235 shipped. I bought it for a backup & BEAD stringing (35" scale) but am not using it much.

If you can find any more of the Dearmonds (they are discontinued) they are nice and the closeout prices were a steal.

A young friend (my band's guitarist's son) swears by his Ibanez GSR-200s (I haven't tried 'em myself).

The base Yamaha RBXs always looked like a well-made, solid and inexpensive bass.

You can use anything for a backup (or a main bass). If it feels good and sounds good (to you) then go for it. My only concern with an OLP (if I liked the sound and feel) would be whether I was happy with the hardware - are the tuners good enough to hold in tune, etc. Is everything solid enough that my "backup" is bulletproof enough to be comfortable with.

8. Just because your going to 'torture" it doesn't mean you don't want it to sound decent, unless of course u want it for a smash and run exit off stage then i would just cut one out of plywood :D

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Nobody in my generation ever tortured his instruments!

10. Why not try a Dano?? They look terrible but sound sweet with a great price.

11. Yeah, I agree. The Danelectro Rumor is a standard P style bass for under $200 new.

Then there is Rogue :eek: and you can get a rogue SX100B (again, standard P style) for $79.99 at Musicians Friend. For 80 bucks, torture it all you want, no big loss.