1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

back-up bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Mar 24, 2002.

1. what would you guys consider as a decent back up bass for a Stingray4? Let's try to keep the price under $500.
    I'm considering getting an Essex P-bass with a maple neck. Not sure on the upgrades yet.

2. MIM P-Bass or Jazz. Jim Deacon P-Bass copy (mine was about $170 - £109) I love it. :) Howver the newer range sound terrible.. and the Jazz copies were never that great.

Go out to the music store and try a bunch of 'em out.

3. I've gone out an tried quite a few. I was just looking for opinions. To me, the jazz doesn't cut it. I've borrowed basses from friends and music stores, and I want to keep around the same tone. The jazz (fender or not) seems too muddy and doesn't cut thru the lows. I know nothing sounds like a Stingray, but I want something comparable to it. I feel the punch from P-bass is the most similar if any.

4. try the OLP stingray... looks the same... and might retain some of the similar feel.. I hear it is decent.

5. Yes! The OLP would be a good idea. I was just thinking of posting it as I read your second post..
    The OLP sounds quite nice, and is quite cheap. I've never been aloud to try a Sting Rap since I'm 'just a kid'. But the guys at teh stores let me use the OLP. Was great bass. The sound is crunchy, and the neck is smooth. Perhaps a bit chunky at the back.

6. I was just looking thru the rest of the post, and seems lots of ppl are in the market for 2nd basses. Maybe we should all get together and have a swap meet, drink some beer, put some burgers on the grill and dork out talking about basses...
    just a thought.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I got one word for you: Dillion

Dillion is a company that makes replica's of popular guitars and basses. (The best copy's I've ever seen.) I played a Paul Reed Smith copy guitar that was just plain killer. I know that they make a Stingray copy. I haven't tried played it, but after playing the PRS and a acoustic bass, I think it's safe to say that the Stingray would be a better choice than an OLP. (and the Dillions aren't that expensive either.)