back-up bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Mar 24, 2002.

1. what would you guys consider as a decent back up bass for a Stingray4? Let's try to keep the price under $500.
    I'm considering getting an Essex P-bass with a maple neck. Not sure on the upgrades yet.
  2. MIM P-Bass or Jazz. Jim Deacon P-Bass copy (mine was about $170 - £109) I love it. :) Howver the newer range sound terrible.. and the Jazz copies were never that great.

Go out to the music store and try a bunch of 'em out.
  3. I've gone out an tried quite a few. I was just looking for opinions. To me, the jazz doesn't cut it. I've borrowed basses from friends and music stores, and I want to keep around the same tone. The jazz (fender or not) seems too muddy and doesn't cut thru the lows. I know nothing sounds like a Stingray, but I want something comparable to it. I feel the punch from P-bass is the most similar if any.
  4. try the OLP stingray... looks the same... and might retain some of the similar feel.. I hear it is decent.
  5. Yes! The OLP would be a good idea. I was just thinking of posting it as I read your second post..
    The OLP sounds quite nice, and is quite cheap. I've never been aloud to try a Sting Rap since I'm 'just a kid'. But the guys at teh stores let me use the OLP. Was great bass. The sound is crunchy, and the neck is smooth. Perhaps a bit chunky at the back.
  6. I was just looking thru the rest of the post, and seems lots of ppl are in the market for 2nd basses. Maybe we should all get together and have a swap meet, drink some beer, put some burgers on the grill and dork out talking about basses...
    just a thought.
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I got one word for you: Dillion

Dillion is a company that makes replica's of popular guitars and basses. (The best copy's I've ever seen.) I played a Paul Reed Smith copy guitar that was just plain killer. I know that they make a Stingray copy. I haven't tried played it, but after playing the PRS and a acoustic bass, I think it's safe to say that the Stingray would be a better choice than an OLP. (and the Dillions aren't that expensive either.)