Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

back up bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Nov 1, 2000.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have to play live a lot in the next months and i need a second bass. my bass is a 4001 rickenbacker and i like vintage sound with a non usual design, i play both with fingers and pick, the music stile is pop rock (u2 style) and punk rock in another band (mc5, stooges...). i don't slap. i use ampeg svt3 pro and an old all tube head similar to orange 120 with ampeg cabs. i'd like to have your suggestion for this second bass guitar. actually i'm really interested in the reverend rumblefish and in the next to come, according to harmony central, yamaha sbv 500. but i'm open to every suggestion.
    thanks a lot
    marco

2. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    The Rev is a good choice also consider a used MusicMan Stingray or Sterling. I currently bring two basses to my original band gigs my RIC 4003 and my ErnieBall Stingray and we play power pop originals so I use finger style and a pick and those two basses work great together. JMHO :)
    When I do the cover band thing its my trusty old Fender Jazz and my St Blues.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think you're already thinking right! :D:D

I've only played the Reverend Rumblefish once, but immediately understood what everybody's clammering about! It's unusual, sounds great, and would fit well with your Ric!

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think the 'fish fits your criteria perfectly, I've seen that new Yamaha and it looks pretty wild too, but is a little unbalanced due to the lack of an upper horn - OH - BTW, it sounds great!

5. I'd check out some Peavey's.. they're generally cheap, reliable, and sound pretty good.

6. Get a Rumblefish. Just be prepared for it to become your main bass!

7. Depending on what you can afford you might also want to look into a MIM Fender Jazz. Not too expensive and they sound great for the cash. Used ones can be had for cheap.

8. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Actually the back up for my Rick 4003 (obviously I don't really need one) was selected with size and weight in mind. It makes hauling gear a little easier and more compact.

I looked at the small headless models by Cort, Steinberger and Hohner but settled on the odd ball vintage rarity made by Westone called the "RAIL" . It's as small as the others but sounds considerably more funky.

Now I'm shopping for a second back up.....the never ending story.

9. Cirrus

Cirrus Guest

Apr 30, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    I think if you have the cash, get another copy of your main bass as your backup. That's what I ended up doing, and it's nice to be able to switch basses and not have something that feels totally different. I know some people like variety, but I prefer consistency. Just my $.02. :)

Peter

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks a lot to you all guys!
    and what about this strange idea?
    a wosrite australian handmade bass...
    did you say mosrite?
    see
    http://www.tymguitars.com.au