1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Backbeat Club - For Those Who Silently Rumble

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pat C., Dec 21, 2018.

1. BoydG

BoydG

Nov 16, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Before I bought the BackBeat, I was 100% wireless, so I had the wireless transmitter on the guitar strap, and I had the IEM on my belt with the earpiece lead going up my back, either under or over my shirt, depending on the circumstances. That way each component was attached to the appropriate object (either the guitar, or me).

This got complicated with the addition of the BB to the strap. I want it positioned as close to the center of my back as possible, and the transmitter for the guitar still lives near the bottom of the strap, closest to the guitar jack. For the monitor, though, I still keep the receiver on my belt, I suppose out of habit. I unplug the cable going to the backbeat, and I take the IEMs out of my ears and leave all that draped around the strap when I take off the guitar.

I hadn't really considered moving the monitor belt pack to the strap. Partially due to inertia (I've always done it that way), and partly because I don't want the transmitter and receiver to interfere with each other. I don't know that they would do that, but as it is I have to keep my phone away from both of them to prevent unwanted noise in either system. I might consider moving the monitor belt pack to the strap to see how that works.

2. joaobass

joaobass Gold Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    So, I was already sold on the usefulness of the Back Beat. Now I am sold on that i NEED it in my life. Yesterday when took it off the charging cable to put it in my case, I accidentally turned the power on. By the time I got to my gig, the battery was drained. (need to get a 2nd charger to carry in my case and still keep the other plugged up in my studio.) So after having it at every gig for the last 3 or weeks has been great. Suddenly not having it at a gig....was pure misery!

3. Wow! The new invention has made itself indispensable very quickly!

joaobass and Zbysek like this.
  4. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    I've settled on securing all my paraphernalia to the strap with gaffer's tape each show. Prior to my current band I had never used a wireless bass transmitter and my IEM setup was wired. So dealing with all these new contraptions, plus the Backbeat, was an adjustment. But I've sorted out the best spot for each piece to live on my strap, I use a small slice of tape to hold them in place for the duration of each gig. (This is an older picture, I do a better job of securing the cables now.)

20181228_162657.

The weight of it all makes handling the strap a bit cumbersome, but I'd be dealing with that issue even if it was just the Backbeat on the strap. Adding a couple of lightweight packs is no big deal.

My worst problem with this setup was dealing with my IEM cord going into the Backbeat. It's a short distance from the BB to my ears, but I needed to keep enough slack in the cable to be able to reach the buds with my hands while the bass is on. But leaving too much slack also allowed the cable to get 'caught' on the BB at times, partially pulling my earbuds out. I needed to find a way to secure the cable so that it was in reach after the bass is strapped on, but also secure my buds in my ears. Under my shirt wasn't going to work since the cable needed to be routed back up to the BB halfway up my back, outside my shirt. I settled on taping most of the IEM cable coiled up on top of the BB, leaving just enough cable to reach my ears. Between sets I use a small piece of tape on the top shoulder of my strap to hold the earbuds with in easy reach.

5. If everything has its assigned place now, you could just sew it onto the strap.

6. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Sitting here while working from home and I had one of those lightning strike moments while thinking about this. Who says it as to be attached to the strap?
    IMG_2581 2.JPG

(No "junk-in-the-trunk" comments please! :eek: )

Now, I'm just trying this at home, without my IEM available but this allows me to keep my bass wireless transmitter on my strap (easy on/off during gigs/breaks) and allows me to keep my IEM transmitter in my back pocket where I normally have it and my actual in-ear monitors up through my shirt where I can just pop them in/out as well and not have to take them off every time I stop playing. Plus, it's a heckuva lot easier to reach around to my lower back and tweak the levels without having to origami myself to reach them on my strap. This could be a nice win:win for me as I just KNOW the hassle of having everything on my strap would likely kill this thing for me.

Plus, it feels kinda good rumbling down on the lower back as well!

docmaster, ranat, Firesalt and 4 others like this.
  7. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I don't own one yet, but had the same idea. When a bass amp kicks you, it's usually in the butt and not the upper back.

docmaster and Jamvan like this.
  8. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    I've found that the localized 'feel' of the unit disappears in the mix when playing live. There is just a sensation of the lowest octaves being reinforced and not so much a specific spot being rumbled. YMMV.

9. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    How high up the neck can you get before it starts to dissipate?

10. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    The notes start to dissipate for me around 2nd fret A on G string and have petered out by the 9th fret E. However, I still feel the 'finger thump' of each pluck and rest stroke. So there is a tactile contribution even on higher notes that the BB isn't directly producing.

11. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    That is real good information, thanks much!

12. Vherrada38

Vherrada38 Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Any of you had the unit completely die on you? Mine was working fine for a few days but I let it sit for about a week and now it won't charge, light doesn't even turn on when I plug it in

13. Firesalt

Firesalt Is good enough. Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Contact them and tell them about the issue.

14. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    I haven't had that issue.

But definitely contact them directly, I would hope they would get back with you quickly to resolve.

And report back how it goes. I wouldn't expect any new gear to be bug free upon first release, but how they handle any issues will be key to building faith in the product.

instrumentalist likes this.
  15. I've had my Back Beat for a week or two, but I wanted to hold off on any reviews until I had at least a rehearsal and a gig with the device before reviewing. First impressions are that this thing is definitely a winner. Much easier to manage a lower stage volume for myself and have a wonderful tactile feel. It has just the right amount of sensitivity and responsiveness to the changes in bass frequencies on my bass, whether changing to different pickup settings or changing the on board active bass EQ.

I only experienced two negatives. I managed to step on my patch cable mid song and unplugged from the Back Beat resulting in a few measures of no bass during the tune. I understand this is more user error than anything, but I can see this being an issue that I need to find a way to resolve.

My next negative mark for it is pretty nitpicky and isn't really a negative. More of an observation. I run sound for the band that I'm in. When I'm setting FOH levels with my tablet while wearing the Backbeat, I perceive more bass than there actually is. When I turned the device off, the bass was at a near inaudible level. So going forward, I will mix FOH with the Back Beat turned off so I don't have the delightful placebo of increased bass while setting levels.

But I can tell this device is here to stay permanently as part of my arsenal. It makes gigs so much more fun to play when my back is rumbling with every pluck, thump and smack. I look forward to eventually making the switch to IEM's, but that will certainly complicate cable management. Especially while running sound and continuously removing and inserting ear buds.

BoydG, Zbysek and Pat C. like this.
  16. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    Just wanted to note, I can no longer edit the first post to be able to add folks to the "club member list". Not sure if I should create new reply to keep that list going, or there is a back way to edit that post (by a moderator, or something) going forward. Or even if having "member numbers" is important to everyone. LMK your thoughts.

17. BassMorpheus

BassMorpheus Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2004
    The Crescent City/NOLA
    TBers,

The BackBeat is a game changer! I just received it and have not put down my bass for 1.5 hours! Those vibrations make you want to close your eyes and just concentrate on the sonic goodness flowing through your body. A great by-product of the unit is it forces you to think about what and how you're playing (i.e. the length of notes). I would recommend and even endorse this product for all bassist! Viva La BackBeat ⭐⭐

Zbysek likes this.
  18. David Silva

David Silva

May 4, 2017
    I just received my Back Beat. I love this thing. It is quite easily the coolest piece of gear I own. I would love to be in the club.

Zbysek and BassMorpheus like this.
  19. David Silva

David Silva

May 4, 2017
    I truly see it as must have especially when using IEM's. I was on the fence but really happy with my purchase.

BassMorpheus, Zbysek and tombowlus like this.
  20. David Silva

David Silva

May 4, 2017
    A couple of thoughts about the backbeat. Getting the unit on and off is not that difficult, takes a bit of muscle to get it on a strap but not bad. Once it's on, that sucker is not going to come off. When I need to adjust the rumble setting or the headphone output, I simply tilt the bass down. I literally point the bass almost straight down, so the headstock is pointing towards my feet. I can adjust the settings in 5 seconds. Really, five seconds. I like to see how many different ways to achieve this as quickly as possible. This for me has been the quickest.

I find my levels to my ears to be quieter than usual due to the vibration. Love this thing. The only down side I can find is sometimes when playing certain notes, the unit will "feedback" just like a amp can. This creates an "ebow" effect. I have found the best way for me to control that is with some left hand muting. Just a slight touch can tame that beast. To me, this really is not an issue though.

If your on the fence like I was, let your precious gig money go and get one. I really feel they are that good. I find I play differently as well. There is more care to the feel of a song, as I can feel my instrument more. Great gear!

Element Zero, BassMorpheus and Zbysek like this.