1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Backbeat Club - For Those Who Silently Rumble

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pat C., Dec 21, 2018.

1. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    Just saw this post. Yes it is.

BB desc.

2. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    That stinks. Hopefully it was just a fluke. I'm sure there's a very low failure rate for the battery that they use, but I'm sure it's not zero. You may have just gotten unlucky.

I've seen a few of the Backbeats for sale used and they seem to be going for a premium on the resale market, probably because they are so new. And with new models currently back-ordered the used market is the only way to get one right now.

Keep us posted on how the transaction shakes out.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  3. pawnshopbill

pawnshopbill

Jun 20, 2015
    Florida

I just ordered one, I guess they are in production and I will have to wait for shipping until the end of the month.
    I want to run my full stereo IEM mix into input 6 via TRS and run out of the output 8 into my IEMs. My question is does the unit keep the signal in stereo from the input of 6 to the output of 8 or does it change it to mono?

4. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    I run a mono IEM mix and have not tested the unit in that way so I can't answer that for certain. Given that both the input and output are designated stereo, I certainly hope so. It be weird if the signal got converted to mono in the middle of that signal chain.

You may try posting on the Backbeat Facebook page, or message them directly with that question to confirm.

5. pawnshopbill

pawnshopbill

Jun 20, 2015
    Florida
    I already asked them this question and they came back with the answer that I should run my input into the aux in and then out of the headphones out, which I replied with, will the aux input send signal to the thump, which they replied yes. which I am seeing is a no from the schematic above. so I am not sure.

6. pawnshopbill

pawnshopbill

Jun 20, 2015
    Florida

Okay so I reached out to BackBeat on Facebook for further clarification. They got back to me right away so that is pretty cool. I guess this new batch I am waiting on will be an updated model? The aux in will send signal to the Thumper and it will be in stereo. So that answers all of my questions. I'll post a picture of the updated schematics when the unit gets here. Thanks guys!

Pat C. likes this.
  7. BoydG

BoydG

Nov 16, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I've been meaning to test that for myself on the original BB, and despite the fact that Signal Input 6 accepts a TRS plug, it does NOT translate into stereo out at Headphone Output 8. Which has contributed to my decision to quit using the BackBeat. My stereo monitor is MUCH more important to me than feeling the vibration in my back.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used 1st Gen BackBeat?

pawnshopbill likes this.
  8. ordered mine 2 weeks ago. Glad to hear it will be the Gen 2! Anyone using BB with an amp onstage?

Zbysek likes this.
  9. Absolutely. I've become quite addicted to using the BackBeat with a vertical 4x10 on stage. I also run sound for the band I'm in. This device is so helpful. I can keep a modest, quiet mix without any excess boom in the room and still feel the kick in the pants. However, I turn the BackBeat off when setting levels as it always seems like the bass is too loud if I sound check while it's on.

10. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    How did you do it? I tried to click on "buy" icon on the BB's FB profile...and nothing happened...

11. pawnshopbill

pawnshopbill

Jun 20, 2015
    Florida
    I ordered mine on the website, it is on back-order currently. They estimated that they would be shipping around the end of July.

12. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I see. Thank you...

13. pawnshopbill

pawnshopbill

Jun 20, 2015
    Florida
    BB.JPG
    New manual on their website listing it as Aug 2019 Shipments

Zbysek and Pat C. like this.
  14. Got an email yesterday. They begin shipping this week!

Zbysek likes this.
  15. bassicsax

bassicsax Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Just ordered my backbeat! I play direct through a small HX Stomp rig at church, it should be here on Friday so I can use it on Sunday.

Zbysek likes this.
  16. bassicsax

bassicsax Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    So what are the thoughts and results on this? I was thinking about doing this and just running my in ear mix through it to make it easier to get on and off stage...

17. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    If it makes the cabling logistics easier for you then go for it.

I'm currently running completely wireless so I attach my IEM receiver, bass transmitter and the BB to my strap, secured with gaff tape. My ear buds are secured to the strap as well. It takes an extra couple of minutes before each show to set up but it's worth it as all the gear stays with the bass when I take it off.

If I ran the BB and/or wireless gear clipped to my belt then I'd have more stuff to detach and plug in each time I removed or picked up the bass from the stand.

Zbysek likes this.
  18. Mine just came. Had a chance to play a little at lunchtime. Wow this is cool! Can't wait to gig with it.

Zbysek likes this.
  19. pawnshopbill

pawnshopbill

Jun 20, 2015
    Florida
    Got mine in last night and took it straight to rehearsal. It came fully charged so I was able to use it right away. I feel like I need to figure out a good place for it to sit my strap, to be right in the center of my back rather than more up on my shoulder.

First impressions were pretty good, I am running without a cab for an upcoming show and the backbeat absolutely filled a need for some tactile feedback, I was able to run my IEM mix into the aux input and my IEMs out into my ears. It kept the stereo image in my mix and added thump to the drums and lower end of the keys.

One disappointment I had was that when you run aux in and out for your mix the unit does have to be powered on for any signal to pass through. So if the backbeat died in the middle of a show I would be left without any stage monitors at all. There also is a loud pop in the IEMs when turning the unit on and off.

I am happy with the purchase. I am going to gig it for a few weeks to get a better feel for the thing.

Zbysek likes this.
  20. technocraft

technocraft Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 15, 2013
    South Florida
    Chief Pedal Genie
    Just got one yesterday and fiddled with it at the office and was un-impressed. Played some songs from my phone into it and didn't think it would really be useful...

Then I got home and played about for an hour with it - and had one of my most fun sessions ever. It's a keeper.

Will try a practice session with headphones next.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Zbysek likes this.