Backing Tracks and Intros

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by deshi00, May 7, 2012.

1. deshi00

deshi00

Mar 26, 2010
    columbus ohio
    Hey guys not sure if this is really in the right section, but my band has recently started trying to used backing tracks and pre-recorded insturmental intros in our set. And I wanted to hear your opinion/experiences on using backing tracks and pre-recorded tracks. A fan recorded our new intro and a new song we opened our set with and I just wanted to see what the tb community thinks about our opening.
    (edit: Try to ignore whoever was talking in the crowd haha)

The Video

Thanks

2. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    I like the way the drummer played with the intro, (although he looks awfully bored...). It would be cool to work in the other members of the band the same way. Say start the drummer a bit sooner, then have the guitar #1 start in with that riff. Something a bit more dramatic. Don't know if the lighting was under your control at all, but to have the lighting more dynamic would really help a lot too. Overall I liked it though! (liked the song too, and I'm definitely not a metal-head!)

3. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    I like intros and we use them in two of my original projects. One thing I would consider is creating an intro that seamlessly moves into the first song. Your intro seemed like it was building to something and then just sort of stopped. Better, imo, to build it right into your opening riff.

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I think it would have more weight if there was a better transition from the intro into the first song.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

As stated before, that really needs a transition, it was more like the drummer opened the show and you decided to join him.

I used to play in a stoner rock/doom metal band and we opened with a big gregorian chant and put twisted bible quotes in-between songs, we did this at a bar, people did not get it...

We also used them to fuse the whole show together, no pauses. That is how I like to do a set, my band mates didn't agree...

6. deshi00

deshi00

Mar 26, 2010
    columbus ohio
    Thanks for the input guys, I agree the transition probably needs to be a little more seamless. This is somthing we are just starting to do, so all the input is great

DiabolusInMusic
    "We also used them to fuse the whole show together, no pauses. That is how I like to do a set, my band mates didn't agree..."

^this is exactly what we are going for, we have extended some intros to songs to give our singer a chance to talk, and added a few more random tracks the drummer plays with while we change guitars/tune

The comment about metal kinda made me laugh a little bit... not because its incorrect because this song does tend to lean that way, but because we arent really a metal band... This song is probably our heaviest (couple more may come close).

7. mikegug

mikegug

Oct 31, 2011
    Yep. Needs a smoother transition. There were a few seconds of nothing before guitar started. Gid rid of that empty space. As your manager, I would have lost my mind with the fact that you are THE headliner and you have empty space like that.

Also, it didn't seem like the intro "melody" had much to do with the song. Its like it just ended, and then the a song started. I only watched it once though.

And finally, the drummer needs more stage presence, if he's coming out during an epic-sounding intro like that. I don't pay to watch the top of a baseball cap, if he's the only one up there.

Here's how I'd direct you guys:

1. Track starts
    2. Drummer enters and waves to crowd (wait for applause)
    3. Keeping head up and working the crowd with his smiles and acknowledgment, drummer starts with quarter note hits to tom&kick
    4. moves to 1/8th and 1/16th note hits around the kit
    5. SEEMLESSLY, when track ends, the guitar player starts riff
    6. start melting faces

8. Drummer looks bored and is messing with adjusting his kit instead of performing and amping up the crowd. Watch some Floyd videos to get ideas of great transitions. The rest of the band looks good.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021