1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Backline 600 Set Up Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by moten33, Jan 7, 2012.

1. moten33

moten33

Jan 7, 2012
    Albion, NY
    I have a GK Backline 600 which is 300w at 4ohms and 180w at 8ohms. I bought GK 210 and GK115 cabs both rated at 8ohms. To get the maximum output, do I need to daisy chain them to the main amp output or can I use the two outputs and still get the 300w power?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It ends up the same either way. 2 cords from amp, one to each cab or one cord from amp and 1 from cab 1 to cab 2 = same thing.

3. moten33

moten33

Jan 7, 2012
    Albion, NY
    OK, thanks!! Pretty new to this and my bandmates were giving me conflicting advice. Thanks again!

4. Yep, no difference at all.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Make sure you use speaker cables, not guitar cords to connect amp and speakers. If you bought it as a package, it may have came with cables, use those.

6. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I only learned this recently myself, and I've been playing for about 17 years! I was no dummy in physics either, but I just assumed daisy chaining was considered serial and not parallel.

7. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Although it's true that the "physically series" cable connection in question is electrically parallel, and therefore the same as plugging one cab into each of the amp's phone jacks, I'd still prefer the the latter scheme because I get nervous when 300 watts are running through a single phone jack. Yeah, I know it was done with many large tube amp for years, and may still be, and nothing blew out, but that still translates to a lot of current running through a connector that was never designed for that duty. However, it could be that Bob's using phone jacks on that model that can handle this sort of abuse. And yeah, I know, you can't argue with "It works fine in the field so quit worrying about it." I'm just a stickler for details.