Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Backline amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Timbo, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Well I got a backline amp, and it was pretty cheap... Tone and stuff seems decent for the price, but i don't really have anything to compare it too because i haven't really tried out any really nice amps, ( only been playing a little while ). I wanna know if anyone else has had any experience with these amps? They like them? Dislike them? Why? And here's the amp I got, http://www.guitarvision.com/mf/mf_frameset.htm

2. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    Link does not work. What kind of amp is it?

3. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Backline is a Gallien Krueger line. I played on a backline 350 with a 210 and 115 Backline cabinet for a festival gig two weeks ago. It has a good tone, but at 175 watts per side it didn't like to be turned up. For the price, it's a really good amp to start out with.

4. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Gah, GC is cant copy link when searching here's features
    Features:

400RB design with a distortion circuit added for extra growl
    Active EQ and voicing controls
    70W driving a 10" woofer
    Rock-back cab with carpet covering and pro hardware
    Specifications:

15-1/3"W x 12-1/2"H x 12-1/4"D

Oh, and ModFlea, dya think a 70 watt one will be good enough to jam with a few friends with? ( Both of em are out of town for like 2 more months so I can't find out for myself any time soon )

and here's a picture ( $250 )
    [​IMG]
    In the booklet is says
    Output Power: 125W @ 8 ohms
    But on site it says 70 watts.. Are they talking about something different? ( same model )

5. bassplayer#7

bassplayer#7

Jun 10, 2004
    I've been looking at the backline 110 too, I have'nt bought it yet because I'm not sure If it's what I need. Ive been looking at the Hartke kickback 10 to. Have you tried that? How does the backline sound when yor playing are you getting any feed back or is it a clean sound?

6. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Sounds extremely clean until you turn volume to about 8 1/2 + then it starts to distort a little bit. I like it so far though. I would suggest it from what I personally have played.

7. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    To jam with friends I think this would be a great amp. I really like how you can tilt it back, like a monitor. That's the best thing they've ever done to that class of amps.

70 watts seems more likely for this amp that 125. So I'd go with that number.

All in all it should suit your needs. And if you like the tone you're getting with it, that's even better.

8. bassplayer#7

bassplayer#7

Jun 10, 2004
    Thanks, for your advise.

9. bassplayer#7

bassplayer#7

Jun 10, 2004
    Thanks, for your advise.

10. Be careful, I had a VERY bad experience. My Hartke started to malfunction a few weeks ago at a gig. A buddy brought a GK Backline that he was able to borrow. This thing took the GK growl to unbearable levels. The distortion circuit wasn't even on and this thing had a buzz that could kill me.
    Try it out first and make sure that it has volume too. That was another issue.

11. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    That was with mine at beginning but I messed with some of the settings now it sounds good.. Maybe you just got a bad one :(

12. The Backline 110 is 70 watts. The backline 115 is 125 watts. It sounds much better with the contour button in.

13. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Contour button?

14. The little black button in the middle.

15. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Ah I see.