Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Backline buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbully43, Jul 17, 2005.

1. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    So i wanted a bigger amp amp and wanted a bigger set up. I am on budget and only have a peavy micro. I am loking to start a band and need more watts. i was looking at GK backline 115=175 watts it was 399.00 Or a new behringer 300 watt head and single 15 behringer bottom 199.00 ea. I found a used 3-4 month backline 250bl head and 410blx bottom which were like new for 189.00 ea. I bought the backline 250 with the 410 for 400.00 with a warrenty for the head that will put the bill at 435.00 with tax. i figure i have a decent rig to play out and gig that i can upgrade and 4-10's insted of i 15" on the other two. I also felt the quality GK was better than behringer. most of the reviews i see on the backline are good..some here knock them but some here also think your a smuck unless you have an ampeg and 5000.00 bass...i dont need it i am only looking for a jazz , blues lite rock gig not metal. so what you think good deal ? :(

2. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Well i guess i did ok then? alltough i was disapointed to find out it is only 125 watts...dumb me thought it was 250 since it is what the head is called...beats my peavy thou.

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The Backline 250 should turn out to be a good practice amp. It's got good tone but doesn't have the power for the gig. For smaller situations though, it may be great to have the low-powered/light weight combination. Also, if I recall correctly, the 250 will only run an 8 ohm load so you can't run a second cabinet for more volume.

However, you will probably find that the GK amp is louder than the Behringer was (both at eight ohms). Gallien-Krueger tend to underrate their amps, you don't get any inflated numbers with them.

The way GK names their stuff is to take the watts and divide by two. At least, that was the case for awhile until they started updating the models. Examples: 400RB - 200 watts, 800RB - 400 watts, 1000RB - 500 watts, 2000RB - 1,000 watts, Backline 250 - 125 watts, Backline 350 - 175 watts, Backline 600 - 300 watts.

Also, you may want to check around on that price, it seems high but that may be because of the cabinet. Musician's Friend ( musiciansfriend.com ) tend to sell things at the lowest price the manufacturer will allow to be advertised (though many dealers sell lower than this, but do not advertise publicly their sale price).

Enjoy your new rig! Play with the EQ settings if for no other reason than to know what they do. Read the manual and you'll learn a lot, then turn the knobs and see how they all interact with each other. You've got some good tone there (considering the price), enjoy it!

4. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Thank you for the reply. I am a bit upset it is only 125W thanks for clearing up the confusion on my part. I am surprised that the GK will be louder than the 300 Behringer but if they over rate the watts(Behinger) i see that now. I dont see alot of positive things on the Behringers. Everybody tells me not to worry it will be loud enough to get over drums and guitar due to the 4-10's. It also sucks that it is a 8 ohm and i cant run another cab...but could i add a poweramp later to up the watts? Also everyone who gigs around here said to run out of the Di to the soundboard or they will mic the cabs anyhow so 125w will work? I have 30 day to try it or return and hope i made the right move. Musians friend had this rig new at $599.00 same as GC had them new. I got it for $378 used from a GC were it was bought only 3 months ago...i think thats fair?

5. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    If the same thing is $600 from Musician's friend then I think you got a good deal as long as everything works okay.

I don't know whether or not Behringer overrates their watts but it wouldn't surprise me. But the Behringer is only ~200 watts at eight ohms, and GK is being conservative with their 125 watt rating on your amp. My hypothesis would be the GK would be louder and probably have more headroom as well.

If everyone from your area DI's and you'll never need to go a gig without PA support it will be enough. As you said, you have the thirty day period where you can return it - if it's not loud enough, don't hesitate to do that.

6. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I am now thinking of going to GC and paying the difference for the backline 210 combo its 200watts with a possible 300 watts with a extention cab. It has two 10's v.s. the 4-10's in the bottom i bought but the built in head has 75 watts more power...your thoughts?

7. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I posted in your other thread about it.