Backline V.S Ultrabass BX 1200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ingemar, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    G-K Backline 112" V.S
    Behringer Ultrabass BX 1200?
    Wich one is best suited for fivestr.bass?
  2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    i dont know much abotu them, but seeing as they both have 12 inch speakers id say the one with the most efficient speaker or the most power
  3. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'd never choose a Behringer over a GK. Behringer is an economy brand, & GK goes after the professional market.
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    But Backline by GK is the equivelent of Squier by Fender. The several Backlines I tried were very noisy, didn't have any bottom, and just sounded cheap.
  5. Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    I experience the opposite, the sound I got when I tried one was clear and deep, not as great as a G-K, but still worthy of its title nonetheless.
  6. I've been severely unimpressed with the backline amps that I've played through. Not sure if the behringer is much better though.
  7. well, for something other than the usual "try them for yourself" speech, I can tell you what I think. I have a Behringer BX1200 right now, and I would only recommend it for maybe recording and low volume practice (and I mean low volume) The Behringer has a ton of inputs/outputs (ie. RCA i/o, Direct outs to name a few) and it has a subharmonic generator which I only see it as an octave effect. (its pretty cool) as for a five string, I probably wouldn't recommend the BX1200 because I feel it is really underpowered. It claims to be 120 watts, but my old SWR LA-12 seemed to be just as loud and that was only 60 watts! who knows maybe wattage is only a matter of opinion! I'm just kidding, but anyways, I played a GK once a long time ago (we don't get many of them around here) and it sounded great. I would definatly try the GK.
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Was the GK you tried a real GK or a backline by GK? There's a huge difference.
  9. basssax

Oct 14, 2003
    Guys,I am playing the ultrabass 1200 for anything up to 150 people.At dance parties.I have two of them. When the date advancing info was wrong, had to push the amp all the way, never got distortion. Now the bass I am using is an active (all are) G&L 2500, ao it has a lot of gain to begin with. Those of you with passive setups might have problems, don't know. The second one comes out and runs parallel when more people show up.
    My other rig is an Eden WT-800 with two Tech CT cabs. That cost almost $3000. The two Behringers-$500. Sound--80% oif the Eden rig. But even if I blow them up, it's no big deal. And they sound FINE.
  10. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I play with an 18 piece big band and have been looking at the Ultrabass 1200 to solve the problem of being able to hear myself. I currently use a Fender BXR 100 (1x15). The amp sounds great but, being in a four piece rhythm section (bass, guitar, piano, drums), I have to keep the volume down so that the section sounds like one unit. The problem is that the amp is down behind me and a I have a hard time hearing it over everybody else, particularly the drums. I've thought about the Ultrabass 1200 since it is a kickback design and I can use it as an amp/monitor. Do you think it will do the trick?

I have also considered the GK Backline, but the Behringer has price in its favor.