1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Backlined Cabinet at Upcoming Gig - how would you run my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Selios, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Hey,

This Saturday I'll be playing an out of town gig where there will be a Traynor TC1510 cabinet backlined. It's a 4 ohm, 600 watt cab.

Normally I run my SVT 5 Pro mono-bridged into an Ashdown 410 (8 ohm, 450 watt). The SVT puts out 840 watts into 8 ohms when run this way (I can easily overpower my cab doing this but I watch my volume and use my ears... it sounds great, my sound never gets squashed by the limiter this way, and my cabinet stays safe because I am careful).

The backlined Traynor is 4 ohms, so it will put out max 1350 watts if I keep it mono-bridged.
    If I run one of the SVT's stereo power amps, it will put out 420 watts into the 600w Traynor.

Just curious, what would you do? Run it mono-bridged like normal and watch the volume, or run just one of the power amps?

Again, I think the amp sounds clearest mono-bridged and I can definitely get away with not cranking it. We play at reasonable volumes. Does it even matter if I am being careful?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. I would really hate to blow up someone else's cab so I would run just one side of the amp. 420w is heaps.

3. I had similar thoughts and am of course prepared to run one side of the amp for that reason. Thanks! Just was curious if it “really” matters if one is careful when there is tons of power on tap.

4. It really matters if you mess up.

Someone else might wind up playing through your amp. Who's responsible then? I think you would feel bad letting stupid power loose.

Wisebass, mcnach and Selios like this.
  5. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'd run it exactly the same; bridged. I've used plenty of cabs with amps double the power rating. Obviously don't max the power side of the amp and you'll be solid, just use your ears. I ran a ca9 bridged into a berg ht322 for years (per Jim's recommendation) and loved it.

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    If you have an obvious accident and damage the cabinet, do you think they will let you leave without buying your mistake? It's all about playing the odds, but if it's a biker bar or a redneck bar, you might end up with the cabinet stuck in a place where you may not want it if you damage the cabinet. "You blow it you bought it" is not an uncommon attitude in some parts of the country ;)

Selios, BassmanPaul, Stumbo and 7 others like this.
  7. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I would just run one of the power amps, honestly.

Wisebass likes this.
  8. I'd do whatever I normally did. BUT .... USE my ears etc etc etc.. won't be any harm if you use yr power judiciously
    If it sounds like it's struggling, it is, and turn down.
    I would simply "test out " the cab with a few strong notes prior to my set (if that's possible for you) and use the cab carefully.
    Of course, there's nuthink :woot: wrong with doing as stated above, using one side of your amp.

9. +1

It sounds like the bass will go through the PA anyway, so all you need is a stage monitor. 420W is more than enough...

Selios, agedhorse and Wisebass like this.
  10. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    This seems to me to just be a case of weighing the pros and cons. Are the minuscule audible benefits from running the amp bridged worth the small risk of potential damage if something goes wrong for any reason?

Korladis and Selios like this.
  11. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    The cool thing about having an amp with flexible power options is that you can adapt to the gig. I'd run one side - and still use your ears even though the cab is "rated" at 600 watts.

12. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I've blown two back line cabs with my amp. Both times I've warned the venue/promoter about the output of my amp, both times I left with zero qualms about it. They were the ones that forced me to use a backline, despite my reservations about it. As far as I'm concerned, the blame falls on them as I was more than happy to use my own cabs.

13. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Selios :)

420 watts!!!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper: is loooooooouuuuuud!

So:

Maximum-Protection-Soft-Foam-Ear-Plugs-593x600.

and have fun!

Wise(b)ass

Selios likes this.
  14. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I would run it in single mode. It will be far more than enough power for you. Guaranteed, with the way you're running your own set up, you aren't pushing anywhere near it's limits if it still sounds good. You're probably going to be very pleasantly surprised with the way the backline cab sounds. Gonna to have to mess with your eq slightly though. A little less bass, a little more treble, etc. Just slight adjustments though, but going from 410s, to a combi cab, there will be frequency changes.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Korladis and Wisebass like this.
  15. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Whoa Nelly, I just checked out the specs for that cab, and it is 600w @ 4ohm PROGRAM.

So... probably like 300w RMS unless I'm mistaken. Use extra caution OP.

16. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements but would love a few ;-)
    Bridge it. Live on the edge. I do ;-)

17. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I'd do whatever I thought best for my sound - But I'd also stand in for my mistakes.
    If my amp, which is rated thrice of what the cab can take, blew it, I'd cover the repair or buy the blown thing even without anyone asking me to.

18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Exactly, that's why I cautioned against bridged operation.

Which is the right thing to do IMO.

rodl2005, Korladis and Wisebass like this.
  19. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    This would be the option I'd use. And run it easy.

You must not like callbacks very much. I always prefer to use my own gear but in some situations that's neither possible or perhaps desirable, and I realize that. So I treat the supplied gear with respect, even if it's gear I neither like nor want to use. I like callbacks.

Korladis and salcott like this.
  20. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Just one last note here to try and level set, I took a quick look at the manual for that TC1510 cab (actually it's the service manual, as its the only manual available for that cab) and to my relatively untrained eye it appears to show the two 16ohm 10s (150w program each) run parallel with the single 8ohm 15 (225w program).

Actually, due to an apparent typo, that isn’t what it appears to show, but I’m pretty sure my assumption is correct. Anyways, those that are technically minded can make their own assessments of this cab. Personally, I’d say that 300w RMS is optimistic. Stopping beating this dead horse in 3... 2... 1...

speaker.

diagram.