1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Backup amp almost nails it

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basscooker, Dec 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Recently I've been getting "gig vibes".

Just as an exercise last night I plugged in my Promethean 300 head and gave it some time. It is roughly the same width as the Shuttle 3.0's mounting bracket, so it fits nicely on top. Plus the speaker outputs are in a good spot to be able to use the 3.0 combo's 1/4" plug. The combo cab for the shuttle 3.0 is a wired plug coming from the cab, and has no other connections to the speaker.

Anyway, I plugged the P300H into the bottom cab, and left the combo as is, without the external cab. I powered them both up, and found an almost appropriate volume for playing with a full band on the combo. I set a tone I liked. Then I moved my instrument cable to the Ibanez amp and tried to duplicate the volume and tone. Not bad! The gain and master settings on the two amps are nearly the same at roughly the same volume.... Good to know. The bass on the P300H needs to be cut a bit, the mid and high nearly the same spot as the shuttle.

The shuttle has a mid frequency sweep, and the P300H has a "phat" knob which seems to basically be a low-mid boost/cut. This is where it started to get a bit tricky, and I had to switch back and forth a/b-ing quite a bit. I eventually found that the Ibanez can cop a fairly good representative tone to the Shuttle. Apples to oranges, obviously, but now I know where the attention needs to be given if I ever have to switch to my backup on the fly.

Nothing really to ask, nothing else to say.... But I recommend to any newly gigging readers to give your backup some love now and again through your current cabs just to see about where your settings want to be for a tone you like. Don't wait until you need it to figure that out.

20171221_161121. 20171221_161149. 20171221_161234.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  2. A Genz don't need no stinkin' back up. :smug:

You are correct to know how to work your tools before needing to use them. Even the ones that just sit at the bottom of the box.

3. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Makes it even more unnecessary I guess, considering the Shuttle is fresh back from a visit to Dr. Agedhorse for a good cleaning and a checkup. But also, you never know what sorts of "sideways" can happen.

S-Bigbottom and Al Kraft like this.
  4. The A/B would have been more instructive with the cabs set side by side.

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    +1

Could have swapped the speaker cabs after you found the sweet spot as well. Maybe the boxes aren't identical.

But this is a very good reminder to everyone that their 2nd favorite amp is probably feeling neglected. Show your back ups some Christmas love :thumbsup:

6. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Possibly, but I was about 5 feet away and directly in front. I couldn't really even tell (besides the fact that I knew) which speaker was playing. I was even sitting on the floor. Your point is valid, though.

I already knew the Promethean didn't stand a chance of getting the exact tone I get from the shuttle. This was more an exercise in finding where the similarities and differences lie. And TBH, I am a bit thrilled about the darn near exact volume levels matching each other at pretty much the same knob positions, though. That is probably the most important thing I learned.

Al Kraft likes this.