backup amp for what?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Dec 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. You don't need two amps, but why not have two?

2. One amp head is enough!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Right now I've got two amp heads. One 18 watt tube head, designed for guitar, and a 500 watt solid state bass head.

Meanwhile, I've got a Peavey combo that can handle guitar & bass, plus a Rumble 15.

WWLD - What Would Lemmy Do?
    Well, he would not even look at the solid state amp, but he doesn't do most of his playing in his kitchen.

I should mention, I'm not in a band & I'm not auditioning for a band. I'm the jerk who started the thread about never wanting to be in a band.

I'm basically just looking for opinions or experiences.
    GAS has me wanting to upgrade the MB500 to the hybrid MB500 Fusion, but I got the MB500 used for half the price of a new Fusion.

2. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    I've been lead to understand they double as space heaters.

sissy kathy and keyofnight like this.
  3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Lemmy would stack them all up, hook them altogether, and turn them all up to 11 to check the dB meter 6 feet away.

Possibly keep the Peavey stuff since it works and mostly doesn't break, keep the tube amp because it tubes(and a heater?), and sell the 500 watt one to start funding the GAS relief.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    You don't need one but if you want one, get one. It's a free country.

5. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Orange County, Ca
    If you played in a band it would be a good idea to have a backup.

6. Lemmy would damage your house..because there are certain bass frequencies that will cause concrete to crack at a certain volume...

7. Killed_by_Death

I'm reading his autobiography, and he said a member of Hawkwind used an instrument that made noises so low or high that they would cause people to go into spasms or even crap their pants.
    I guess the stories about people becoming ill at the Sunn O))) concerts are true.

8. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    My drummer set his beer on top of my amp head before a gig. I was not happy and removed it. During the same gig, he fell on my 5 guitar capacity guitar stand and broke it. Stuff happens and I always carry a spare amp to a gig.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Eventually I want to replace my Markbass LM III with an SVT or similar amp. However, I will keep the Markbass for in case some tube amp-related disaster might occur. The LM III, being wee, is easy to tote along as an extra.

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  10. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

The correct answer is one more.

11. Killed_by_Death

I decided to upgrade:

upload_2015-12-18_11-31-46.png

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Man, those things are so small and cheap you should wear cargo pants and keep one in every pocket....... when you go to the grocery store.

13. And how do you like it? I have one, and I think for the size and money, it's one of the best sounding little amps I've ever used. I am however selling it, because the irritatingly bright blue led makes it look like I've brought a DVD player to the gig.

14. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Sounds like you may need to carry a spare drummer.

LowNloud1, pcake and brendanbassix like this.
  15. :roflmao:

16. Killed_by_Death

I haven't got my hands on the Fusion yet. I have the MB500 right now & I plugged the preamp from my tube amp into it's effects return. That sounded pretty good, and I suspect just like the Fusion will sound.

17. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Recently I owned 5. Four at Home and one in storage. I bartered one head for a paint job on one of my basses and now just have 3 at home and the one in storage.

18. Killed_by_Death

I hope I never have to resort to renting a space to store my GAS gear, LOL.

keyofnight likes this.
  19. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Spoken like the cyclists I know!

20. jjmuckluckjr

jjmuckluckjr

Mar 24, 2015
    As long as money is no problem, I get having two amps. But I'm talking about one gig, one practice amp. I mean lighting up a 500+ amp at home can start negative unintended feedback (mad wife, kids, neighbors, police). In all the gigs I've done, I never brought a backup amp. And as an old Boy Scout, I believe in being prepared. But humping two amps to a bar/ club, ***.

Two amps, OK. when your basement/ garage starts looking like the left side of a 1985 Van Halen stage, then it might be time to reassess your equipment budget. Good luck.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021