backup amp for what?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Dec 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. You don't need two amps, but why not have two?

2. One amp head is enough!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bonz - darrell

bonz - darrell Previously known as: darrellj

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    Interesting conversation. Here's my 2-bits worth: I play occasional gigs, and belong to two bands. I play out (of my house) at least twice a week (each band practices once a week). For practice sessions I bring one bass, and one head (Mesa Walkabout) (and 2x12 and pedal board, etc, etc). For gigs I bring two basses and one head. Right now, I'm counting on the generosity of my lead guitarist -- if my amp caves he has a di box he carries.
    I played an Aguilar Tonehammer 500. It's the cutest little thing. If I could find a used one at the right price I would be entirely tempted to carry it as a spare for gigs...

I dunno.

I think the correct was stated above: "The correct answer is one more".

darrell

2. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I have a gigging amp, a lightweight combo, a combo in the cover band rehearsal space, and an overkill amp in my music room. They all get used.

3. bonz - darrell

bonz - darrell Previously known as: darrellj

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    Hmmm. Gaolee brings up an interesting point. I neglected to mention that I have a HoTone micro head (5 watts) that I use at home for practicing -- there's no way to keep family peace with a 300 watt Mesa head on a 2x12 + 1x15 cab (lol).

So, I'm already at two amps. So following the logic of the OP, I should probably get a backup amp as well as a DI box. :D

4. BadBobbyH

BadBobbyH

Aug 27, 2015
    Omaha NE
    its called 'the brown note'

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

They think they busted the myth, but I recall from Lemmy's book that it didn't have the same profound effect on everyone.
    They should have have tried it on Jamie, and some others.

6. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    The brown note! I've been searching for that!

7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    as much as i hate to own up to the reality of the situation, the all tube mesa d180 will eventually need service and if i can find a really cheap ss head around 500 watts to take the pedals into that didn't require speakons, i'd probably be pretty happy i had it even though it would be a little different

my old teacher's brown sound kit for the diy crowd

Brown sound kit by MartinKersels

8. Killed_by_Death

I remember not hearing, but feeling, the bass at a Testament concert. My first concert ever.
    A couple of us could feel it & held our hands out to watch them vibrate.

9. Killed_by_Death

10. keyofnight

keyofnight

Jun 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Backup amps are important especially when you're using tube amps. I just got my tube amp repaired, but I still don't trust it. lol.

11. Volunteerk9

Volunteerk9

Oct 20, 2015
    Ive got 3. If you count my practice amps 5. I play out maybe once a month. Theyre not eating anything and are all paid for so....the more the merrier!

12. My gig rig is an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro into a GK Neo 410. I have a GK MB212-II combo in my soundguys trailer as a backup. I keep a Peavey T-Max into a Fender Rumble 410 at our practice space. I also have a Pignose B100 head into an Eden 115 in my house. So, why not have more than one?

13. Killed_by_Death

I'm still trying to get my head around why I think I need a second head, LOL.

Maybe I can put one in the loo & pull out the brown note to evacuate better.

14. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I have two amps that I use for practice at home ( ampeg Pf500 and TC BH250). The ampeg stopped working last week, I am glad that I had a backup amp :)

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  15. FerruleCat

FerruleCat

Mar 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    On the guitar side, I have a Peavey Classic 50 410 amp, which is great, but the tubes, of course, are subject to failure. Just this week I put together a backup micro rig that doubles as a practice amp: It's a Joyo American Sound preamp pedal into an EHX Magnum 44 power amp, which is a one-knob solid-state amp in a pedal housing.

The American Sound pedal also is well liked around here as a bass preamp, and I've tried it before with good results. So this weekend I'll run the Joyo/Magnum into one of my 112 DIY bass cabs to see how much I can get out of it. If it works well for bass, I might stack a 112 guitar cab on top of a 112 bass cab in my music space and run both cabs out of an A/B switching box, using the Joyo/Magnum as an all-purpose practice rig.

All of which is to say, it doesn't hurt to have an emergency backup option, especially if it doubles as a good practice rig. (Obviously in a gig situation, the Magnum would have to be mic'd.)

**UPDATE** I plugged the Magnum 44 into my bass cab, and there was no sound. When I picked up the 44, there was something rattling around inside like a marble. It's going back to Sweetwater for a refund.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  16. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have backup for everything.

17. Killed_by_Death

I'm also a freak about redundancy, and usually draw the line at two of each.
    I don't have room for a second speaker cabinet though, and right now I've got 3 basses, LOL.

18. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If you're not gigging or have a goal of gigging why do you have anything other than a practice amp?

19. Killed_by_Death

GAS!

bonz - darrell likes this.
  20. It makes sense to lug around two, i guess. My stuff is spread out at 3 spots right now, though. I've had an idea of racking a main Markbass head along with maybe just an additional inexpensive class D poweramp to pre into in the event the Markbass head quit on me all of the sudden..i really like how the Markbass head fits into a little shoulder bag right now, tho. Right now, I can walk in some place with my bass and head over my shoulder and a cab in each hand. The unexpected certainly can happen tho...one time, we were the first to ever plug into the receptacles in a new college auditorium...and the electricians had screwed up and wired the 120v receptacles at 240v. Two of our amps were fried, and I had nothing else to play out of.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021