backup amp for what?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Dec 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. You don't need two amps, but why not have two?

2. One amp head is enough!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    If you play out regularly, then it's a good idea. Otherwise, do you want multiple heads? If so, keep them..

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I am going in between feeling like an idiot for ordering the MB500 Fusion last night, but I will probably get over it after I plug into it.

3. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Sh*t happens, so you need a spare! It's not just a case of GAS, it's a state of preparedness.

My previous "go-to" amp (Eden Nemesis RS400) is my backup and I wouldn't have any trouble using it if my main amp (Eden WT500/800) had a problem. I also have an older 125 watt GK 250BL amp that I haven't sold off yet and may end up using it as a guitar amp. It's pretty worthless as a bass amp but 125-watts into no less than 8 ohms will do for guitar. I sometimes play guitar on Chicago songs because it's hard to sing and play Pete Cetera's bass lines or at least anything similar to it at the same time.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I have a Bassman 500 w/ a Rumble 500 as backup. Both my cabs are 410s; a Bassman and the Rumble. One each of a P, PJ, and J and a Hofner violin. I don't have a problem playing at low listening levels with a larger rig and don't understand those that claim they can't; it's obviously not true. I won't get into my guitars.

5. Killed_by_Death

I was just muckin' around in the kitchen on the MB500 with my Markbass 2x10, and to get gritty I need to crank the gain, which means the volume knob doesn't even make it to 9 o'clock.
    About the only time I take it higher than that is out in the back yard, where I may put it closer to 10 or 11 o'clock.

6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    In the house I practice at about that unless I put some gain in it then its at 8. The Bassman has a volume control for both channels, so I can switch back and forth using the foot switch and don't have to touch the amp.

7. Killed_by_Death

To be quite honest, in overdrive, the MB500 sounds almost as good as my tube amp, for guitar.
    The MB500 Fusion may just replace my Tubemeister as my go-to amp.

8. Killed_by_Death

Well, that didn't work out. The Fusion was faulty, so I ditched the solid state heads, and I'm back to one tube head and two SS combos.

9. slobake

slobake resident ... something

Sorry it didn't work out. I am wondering why you need a high powered amp to play in your house. Do you hate your neighbors? :D
    It is your business of course and you can play whatever darn well pleases you but you know how Columbo is.
    I play a 15 watt SS Ampeg at home.

10. Killed_by_Death

There were a few factors that made me think "What the Frack are you doing?!"

A. I don't need 500 watts.

B. I already have a tube amp!

I only hate the neighbors when they come home at 2am blaring their bass so loud that my bedroom windows rattle.

I tried a Ampeg BA-108, but prefer my little Rumble.

Oh, and there's just one more thing....

I have GAS!

11. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I have amps for different uses. An Ampeg BA-108 that I use with my acoustic bass for campfire playing (plug it into our trailer). A 15 year old Ibanez 150 watt when I'm just bored. And when we are playing live, I have 2 Hartke LH500 heads feeding a 2.5XL and a 115 Hydrive cabs.

I also have 2 basses and an EUB in that situation.

The old military adage; 2 is 1, and 1 is none applies. Otherwise you are at the mercy of fate.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021