Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Backup amps - got one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass-only, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    Just curious to how many of you keep a backup amp - just in case! I did't check the archives, so I hope this isn't a common question!

Do you have a duplicate of your main amp?

Something else?

I use a Trace RAH600SMX as my main amp and a Hartke 3500 as a backup. I just missed getting a RAH350SMX recently and now kick myself for it.

I guess there's something to be said about having it either way.

What do you players use (or do) for a backup amp?

Bob

2. I have an peavey TKO115 as a backup. But it's mostly just for bedroom practicing, and for taking out for small, non-drummer practices.

3. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Well, at first my Crate BX-100 was my main amp and my WM 10 was just a backup/practice/really small gig amp. However, now I've started to use the WM 10 more (it's so much easier to haul around) and the BX-100 as my practice amp. So I don't know if I have a 'backup' amp per-se, but I do have a spare amp if something happens.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    one more for the peavey tko115. IMO it's the worst amp ever, simply because it weighs more than it puts out in watts. but i don't ever take it to gigs along with my big rig - it's my small/crappy gig rig. hopefully it'll be gone soon, and a clarus or workingmans 12 in it's place.

as for - what i'd do if my power amp died or something - i'd just crank myself thru the monitors.

5. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i play through an aguilar db359 and keep a swr baby blue II around for noodling and backup.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My gig rig is a rack rig. I do not bring a backup... however the power amp is a Stewart 2.1 which is dual monaural, so it is possible for one side to continue functioning even if the other failed. (Note that I love redundant systems... the rack has two preamps and even if both failed I could use the compressor.)

My rehearsal amp is an Ampeg SVT3Pro.

I still use my very first amp for home rehearsal: it's a 1976? Ampeg B-100 (solid-state 1x10 combo).

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've got redudant systems. I have a poweramp that I put my WT-300 though. The WT-300 is my main pre...but because it is in fact an amp, I have a backup power supply. and if the Eden Goes, I've got a Crate head (don't laugh!) that I can take out of my Crate practice combo. Great backup hu? Eden and Crate. :rolleyes:

But I hope to get an Ampeg BSP pre-amp here in a bit which will be another pre-amp for me. Either that of the Peavey Max.