Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Backup bass: Essex vs. Jay Turser

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mulepods, Mar 2, 2006.

1. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    I need a backup gig bass for my Fender Jazz. Chances are it would almost never get played (my Fender hasn't given me any troubles yet). But you can never be too careful.

Obviously I don't need to spend much money on this axe. What do you guys think is the better option - a Jay Turser or Essex? Or are they about the same?

2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I can hear the SX lovers stampeding....

Seriously, I've never played a Jay Turser, but I'm extremely happy with my SX. Certainly not the best, but it certainly sounds and plays extremely well for a $160 bass.

Black blocks and binding on a maple board are darn cool, too. :smug:

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

+1

4. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    I have the Jay Turser 5 string.
    Of course it has been hotrodded but it is the first thing I grab as a prctice bass and my backup for my DPCustom (Which has not given me one oz. of problems). :smug:
    The closest I can come to the SX is the Brice 5 string. It's OK but heavy and not that great in the tone department. The hotrodded JT5 wins hands down.:D

5. AngryJason

AngryJason

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento CA
    I *love* my SX, and am now using my MIM Fender Jazz as a backup. That being said, I recently played a Jay Turser P-bass (copy of the Sting signature model Fender), and it was pretty decent! A little bit neck-heavy, but the tone was suprisingly good.

6. I have played a few Jay's, nothing too special about themm, honetsly couldnt distinguich between a Turse jazz and a Johnson jazz to be honest. They seem pretty durable, and give off a likable tone. Again, nothing special.

-ryan-