1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Backup Bass Options?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rob2966, Mar 12, 2008.

1. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey all,

I am in need of a backup bass. My main bass is a Sadowsky NYC 24F5 and the only other bass I currently own is a Rob Allen MB-2. I would rather not have to bring the Rob Allen as a "backup" to gigs so which leaves me two options as I see it:

1. Buy a really cheap bass that will only really leave the gig bad when absolutely needed.

2. Satisfy my GAS by buying another nice bass on my wishlist to act as the "backup".

Which do you think is the best option? The bass would have to be a 5-string with wide spacing (18-19mm). I am not as picky about scale length.

The advantage of the cheapy bass is that a) I am not bringing even more $$$ worth of gear with me and it could be purposely used in a questionable gig. However, really, I would be buying a bass to NEVER use.

The expensive option would give me more choice overall (and I would use both basses) but cost more up front and increases risk when gigging (of theft and damages).

If I was to get a cheap backup, any thoughts (I am not really looking to modify it, like I said, I don't plan to really use it). Just need something to get me through the set/gig as required.

Later
    Rob

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Buy a bass you want to play. If it's really something you like to play it will rotate in and out. If it's a cheapo you will probably never play it and won't be satisfied if you do.