1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Backup bass reccomendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dukey donkey, Nov 15, 2018.

1. I'm in the market for a backup... its gotta sound similar to my baby, a '98 Jackson Kelly with p/j Duncan designs in it ( usually solo the P, and for some reason this girl out P's most P basses I've ever heard)... gotta be lightweight, and have a gloriously fast neck just like my nearest and dearest. Aesthetics-wise I'd want it similar but I'm not nailed down. Gotta play nice with pedals too... one last thing... I'm on a really tight budget. (had to make it challenging) IMG_20181024_222151.

ThinCrappyTone and Zoobiedood like this.
  2. one last thing.... no Ibanez... I can't get past the tiny bodies and aesthetics

jackn1202 likes this.
  3. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    This made me laugh.

matthewbrown, B-Lo and dukey donkey like this.
  4. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Get into store and try bass's.

Uncle Hanky and Artman like this.
  5. closest store with more than 1 or 2 non Ibanez basses on the wall is 60 miles...

nice_hat likes this.
  6. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    You could always go Squier VM or CV. I know you said no Ibanez and I'm definitely with you there, but the TMB Talman doesn't look like other Ibanez's, just in case you'd not seen that one. It gets very high marks. Good luck with your hunt, brother.

Kubicki Fan and dukey donkey like this.
  7. been really wanting the Squier CV70's P for a long time... just can't find one to play...

8. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Check out the Schecter Diamond series. I have played a few of them and they are very nice for the price.

GoLeafsGo and B-Lo like this.
  9. It is a great quality bass for a reasonable price. If you have to buy sight unseen and want a P, go for it. I doubt you will be disappointed.

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  10. Squier VM Jaguar? Affordable, slim neck, PJ.

11. They're amazing. Id buy one sight unseen.

Uncle Hanky and Bassa Nova like this.
  12. that's been my backup for a long time... gifting it to my 13 year old son who's looking to be kind of a prodigy

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  13. Ah. So not a bad suggestion then ;)

Id say get that CV you've been dreaming of. (But then again, I'm always pushing P basses :woot:) or a VM precision is just about as good; and recently they switched to PJ on those

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  14. thinkin I might just pull the trigger on the CV...if I can't get one in seafoam, I've been eyeing this really snazzy turquoise pearl pickguard that'd look crazy on the black one

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  15. Anyone have any comments on the CV50's p bass? kinda like that one too...

16. Not easy to find, but a used Jackson KB1 is not terribly expensive (~$200-$300) and it definitely nails the part.
    Don't know if the neck feel is the same and the , though.
    There's also the JS3, cheap version of the Concert. I played one at GC, and it seemed like a great bass for the price (about $200).

Good luck in your search!!!

Diego

17. The Kelly bird basses have a different neck profile IME... and I'm not sure about the pickups, as I didn't even bother plugging it in when I picked it up....didn't feel right... Its almost a Kelly but not quite... I'd be willing to try one out again though..

18. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I don't know if it matters, but your original bass is a reverse split pickup...that may be why you like it more.

mikewalker and blip like this.
  19. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    +1 on this, have a Schecter C4 Custom, and they are sweet.