Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Backup bass? Why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iplaybass, Aug 29, 2002.

1. No!!! Why do I even bring it?

16 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Yea, once...

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Heck, all the time!!!!!

29 vote(s)
    55.8%
  1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I always hear about people bringing backup basses to gigs in case something happens to their main axe... so let's hear it, have you ever had to pull the backup out of its bag? What happened to your main bass that was such a catastrophe that you had to use your backup?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Broken string in the middle of our set...battery went dead in electronics in the middle of the set (and it has 6 screws to get into, Damn Ibanez!). That's why I take a backup :D

3. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Breaking a string and no time to re-string.

I know a guy who had to borrow another guy's bass because the output jack was screwed.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I play my backup(s) all the time. When I am playing 4 or 5 sets with my oldies band, I don't want to play the same bass all night!

With my originals band, I use my 6 on most of the stuff, but there is one song that requires the 12 string, and three songs that I prefer to use fretless on.

I have actually needed a backup twice. Once, the screw that holds the strap pin on the upper horn stripped out 2 songs into a show. Yeah, I could have played the rest of the show sitting down, but that would have sucked!

The other time, I broke a G string. I was using Superwound Funkmasters, the super lights like Mark King and Geddy Lee used to play. An exposed core .030 G string and adrenaline fueled popping don't mix very well. That is the only time I have ever broken a string live. I have broken one in rehearsal a couple of times, but it has been at least 10 years since my last broken string.

5. Omar _Bass_PR

Omar _Bass_PR

May 20, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    allways bring your backup!
    i hate broken strings! :mad:
    i allways use my warwick 5str and keep my toby-pro 6 as back up, but some times i just like playing both of them.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Broken string, broken output jack, beer spilled all over it, (that's what ya get for being on the dance floor with a frenzied crowd!)... Like Jeff, I usually break out the backup during the night just cause I like to play it...

-robert

7. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Yes, because you never know. I broke two strings at one gig without a backup and I don't want to go through that again.

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    All of the above reasons!

Plus I like to change bass as well - sometimes different basses are suited to different songs!

9. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    ALWAYS bring a back up.

You never know what will happen. I once had an over-enthusiastic singer bash his mic into my headstock and broke off the key for my E. The impact shifted my neck and I then had an untunable bass. ( the upside is I replaced it with a hip-shot drop-d tuner:) )

Club owners get pretty p#$$ed off when you can't finish a contracted gig while potential drinkers are leaving to hit a club that has a bassist with a FUNCTIONING axe.

Always bring a backup, one day you'll thankful you did.

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    All the above, I made the mistake of not bringing a back-up a few weeks back and I broke my first string in ten years, Go Figure!

11. Bobbyf

Bobbyf Guest

Aug 28, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Even though I've never had any problems with my main bass live, I always bring a backup to the gig. I've broken plenty of strings in practice, and had a jack ripped out (accidentally, of course) by a very active singer.

If you have that second bass, there's no excuse for being unprepared!

12. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I usually play a couple of different basses, depending on the song, or just for a change. I have never had an instance where I "had" to use a backup yet, but I want to be prepared just in case.

I typically just keep 2 or 3 basses on my 3 bass rockstand right beside me on stage so I can grab one (such as between songs) very quickly.

-KB

13. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Murphy's Law!

14. I am the sole vote for "Yea, once" thus far, but that's only in the context of my current band. Past bands have seen me use as many as 3 different basses (4/5/4fl) based on the needs of the song. Since the poll is only allowing one vote, I voted the way I did. This is not my customary dis on poor poll design; I actually like this poll.

15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've never needed a backup bass in 26 years of gigging, but I have played one because I felt like it. Unlike many of you I have NEVER broken a string in my life, and I've never had a problem with a bass requiring a backup. Lately I haven't been taking one on every gig. There is a club we play regularly that is only 8 miles from my house, so if a disaster happens I can go home and get back within 20 minutes. If we play farther away I usually take a backup. I have had amp failures before, which is why I always take a DI box, but never a bass failure.

16. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a backup bass and a back up to a back up bass so I can justify owning more than one bass.

I've broken 1 string in 36 years of playing bass. I have an active electronics off / on switch on two of my three basses, and replace the batteries on all of them at least every 60 days. I've never had a dead battery on a gig as I always disconnect the cord between sets.

It's strictly a marriage saver situation for me to justify having a few nice basses rather than one at a time.

:D

17. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I always bring at least two basses, partly to feel safe in case something breaks (I have however only broken a string once in my life, and that was at rehearsal), but also to have a different sound available. Depending on the room acoustics I have sometimes changed to another bass to get a better sound through the PA. My main bass has lately tended to be a Fender Precision 5-string, but I have on occasion switched to my Modulus Q5 to better cut through in a boomy room.

18. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I didnt actually want to quote you. I just like your User Name. Very cool!!!!!!!

19. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yesterday I saw a "ahem" bass player playing with 3 strings. yes only three strings. he even removed the G tuner! I asked him what happenned he told me he broke a string 3 years ago and never replaced the string so he decided to remove the tuner too. Ohmygod it takes all kinds I guess. The funny part was he wasnt a bad bass player, he just did not realize his note selection was greatly reduced and severly limited.

20. Yes! They are alway's neccessary not that i've had experience of a bass busting on me in a show but i would hate to imagine if it did and you didn't have a back up.