1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

backup bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tangodown87, May 27, 2004.

1. i currently own a fender mexican jazz bass which i play in a pop-punk sorta band and i think its great, i cant really see any fault with it at all and it sounds great(im even thinkin of puttin some quarter pund pickups in ther)
    i need a backup bass as my first ever bass is really pants (to put it lightly) i was thinkin p bass, so should i go squier or fender mexican again?

2. if you are going for a p-bass check out the american made peavey fury basses, they have the p-bass shape and pickup but with a jazz neck... they are better than mex fenders and because peavey isnt a well thought of name you can get them dirt cheap under 200 bucks on ebay

3. i checked it out and im not really a fan of the shape of it, doesnt look like its readily available in england either, do you think i should go for the mex fender or a squier?

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Why not get an Essex/SX that many of the TBers seem to like, especially if you only intend to use it when your main bass is in failure mode, ie why spend $ on something that's only going to "get you through".
    Never played one myself, but they're held in regard for value by quite a few people. There are plenty of threads here on them.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I would suggest goingthe mex fender....but try a good few of them so tat you et a good one - yup, do your own quality control! ;)

Alternatively, check out ebay, and see what comes up - you sometimes get used MIJ P basses for less than you'd pay for a new MIM one!

6. im pretty short of cash at the moment and ive heard mixed opinions of the OLP musicman copy, this would be great because i;ve always wanted to get a stingray but we wont even go into how much they cost!