Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

backup bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tangodown87, May 27, 2004.

1. i currently own a fender mexican jazz bass which i play in a pop-punk sorta band and i think its great, i cant really see any fault with it at all and it sounds great(im even thinkin of puttin some quarter pund pickups in ther)
    i need a backup bass as my first ever bass is really pants (to put it lightly) i was thinkin p bass, so should i go squier or fender mexican again?

2. if you are going for a p-bass check out the american made peavey fury basses, they have the p-bass shape and pickup but with a jazz neck... they are better than mex fenders and because peavey isnt a well thought of name you can get them dirt cheap under 200 bucks on ebay

3. i checked it out and im not really a fan of the shape of it, doesnt look like its readily available in england either, do you think i should go for the mex fender or a squier?

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Why not get an Essex/SX that many of the TBers seem to like, especially if you only intend to use it when your main bass is in failure mode, ie why spend $ on something that's only going to "get you through".
    Never played one myself, but they're held in regard for value by quite a few people. There are plenty of threads here on them.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I would suggest goingthe mex fender....but try a good few of them so tat you et a good one - yup, do your own quality control! ;)

Alternatively, check out ebay, and see what comes up - you sometimes get used MIJ P basses for less than you'd pay for a new MIM one!

6. im pretty short of cash at the moment and ive heard mixed opinions of the OLP musicman copy, this would be great because i;ve always wanted to get a stingray but we wont even go into how much they cost!