Backup bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jun 18, 2001.

1. What is a good cheap backup bass. Squire, Danelectro......give me some ideas. The key is cheap but useful when the time arrives when you need it.
  2. you have two basses, right? why not just bring both along and use one as a backup?
  3. either do what dancehallclasher said or get a MIM Fender. All IMO of course
  4. ESP is a good cheap backup bass.
  5. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use a Jazz bass (w/ barts & Baddass II) as a back up to my MTD 535, or Lakland Deluxe 55-94, depending on the gig.

It especially comes in handy when some idiot wants to come up on stage to sit-in, and you don't trust him with your $3,000 to $4,000 bass. A cheap Jazz bass does the job very nicely.

I think a MIM Jazz would be a very decent back up bass, assuming you don't mind using a 4 string. I think they go for $300+ at Musician's Friend.
  6. I need to change my profile.

Right now I have no bass. I sold my Jazz to buy a 5 string and returned my 5 string because of a long story I won't go into now. Anyway I just ordered a Carvin 5 string but have nothing to play while waiting for it to be built.

Thats what got me thinking, 'I should get a cheap bass to have around as a backup so this won't happen again'.
  7. Peavey, Dean, MIM Fender
  8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    steinberger spirit... excellent cheap bass.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My son and I were just talking about this today (he plays sax). I ran into this a few months back, for the first time in a long time. Between sets, the leader asked me if a guest at the wedding could use my bass for a song (the guy was with her). I always bring two basses, this time I brought...

A Lakland 55-94 Limited (#19 of 20) in dead mint condition.

A Zon Legacy Standard fretless 5...same condition.

Which one would you hand him?:D

After repeated assurances by the guest that he was probably more anal about instruments than I could ever be, I let him use the Lakland (he couldn't play fretless). Long story short he did fine and loved the bass.

But what if... he turned into the drummers cymbals and gouged my Lakland?

Afterwards I pleasantly told the leader not to do that again. Ever. Seriously.

I've accumulated several "spares" over the years...see my profile;)
  10. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Mr. Johnson - nice bass collection in your profile!

Anyway, sounds like you may have encountered the only good reason for those $100 Rogue basses. I may have to get one and keep it under the seat in case anyone wants to "borrow" a bass. My basses are both made of koa wood and I let hardly anyone touch them!

Seriously, though, I like the MIM Fender as a backup idea. A Peavey Foundation can also be had cheap.
  11. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    LOL - My Rogue is one of my main axes. :)

Then my Peavey and last my violin bass. The steiny will be on top though if it ever comes back.
  12. hell, there's nothin wrong with cheap basses. I heard some good things about those Danelectros..
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Seconded. Sounds good, is very portable and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
  14. infested_stain

Jun 16, 2001
    I got one word 4 ya........

Ibanez Sr300dx

hang on that's more than one word..........
  15. Now that's a scarrrrrrrrrrry thought.... :0

Oh by the way... I thank you for letting me get a feel of your surine protocol 7..(atomic)
    Come to think of it, I really liked the sound.. If only I had been blessed bigger hands.....
  16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Someone wanted to stand in isn't the only reason to lug two basses. I cringe on the rare occasion that I play out without two basses. Stuff happens. Busted wire, bum battery, or electronics that just quit. I have seen hardware failure. You name it, I have seen it. I even have a packup plan if my amp blows up.

If you are thinking super cheap, you can get a Fernandes jazz bass copy on ebay for a couple hundred bucks. I bought a 5 string version for my first attempt at playing fivers. It is built as least as well if not better than a MIM Fender. Although I would say you can't go wrong with those either.

17. sailor

Jun 10, 2001
    Samash is taking orders for De Armond 4 string ($139) and 5 string ($159). These are discounted models, but are nice basses. For this price they are a steal and would make a nice back-up. I ordered me a 5 string.
  18. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    i second the DeArmond. Tried a few a while back right before i bought my ashbory. The necks felt good-almost had me sold on a plus 5 but then i tried ashbory. If i can mow lawns or if my grandpa has me work I'm gonna try & get one of those 5s-cheap & decent. Thats all
  19. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    No one's mentioned Yamaha so far, but I think most of the RBX series Yamaha's would do very good. The cheaper ones go for around $200-$400 and you can get a 4 or 5 string. I use the RBX760A as a backup, which is a little more pricey (around $600), and it has always performed when I've needed it. I say try out the cheaper ones and see how you like 'em.
  20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Glad you got a chance to check it out, masterFunk. Nice meeting you, too.

BTW I don't mind bassists playing anything I have, it's just that when it's sprung on me and I don't have control of the situation it's just different. If that makes sense.

Now if I can just find a folding Rogue to keep under the passenger seat...;)