Backup Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malabito, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Hi, i am looking for a backup bass I can use to gig, instead of using most of the time my mtd 535, since here in Venezuela insecurity has gone wild and I wouldnt like anything to happen to it. :(

I have narrow my search to the following 3 basses,
    -fender MIM jazz bass
    -Ibanez ATK 300
    -Washburn Status 1000

Which of dose would you recomend me, I play many kinds of music so it would have to be very versatile.

2. Hey dude,

My backup bass is a MIM JAzz Deluxe 5 string. My main is a Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5 string. I stil love my Jazz and play it heaps, mainly due to the fact that i play both of them heaps.

My Jazz sounds good for most things, but fails to really cut through in hard rock and even in some not so hard rock situations. Its good for pop, jazz, funk and basically is still a really nice instrument. The only downside is that it is a fairly heavy bass.
  3. I would also say fender is the best option. Most versatile of those three.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Fender is definitely a good choice.
  5. Everybody should have a Fender Jazz as a backup bass. :)
    Either 4 or 5 string, MIM or MIA, active or passive (although passive makes more sense to me as a backup instrument), as long as it's a Fender Jazz you have a big and strong safety net. It's a sound you can trust.
    Well, I trust it...

6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    the ATK is a good bass. Best Ibanez ever made, IMHO. A little on the large side, but it nails the J, P, MM and a few other tones. Built like a shick brithouse, and have a rather nice neck (chunky P-bass style, not the pencil necks of yor).

If you can snag one, nice basses. I own a rather nice MIJ ATK300ish thingum.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Get the fender. I am selling one, but idk about shipping to venezuela.
  8. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    if you have an MTD 535, why not get a kingston, or a saratoga 5 to match it if this is a back up bass wouldnt one of these be more like your full time bass?

9. Instead of dose I mention I would rather prefer getting one of dose (kingston or Saratoga), but I am on a low budget, I know dose are not expensive, but I just have a line 6 bass pod pro plus some cash (not much) to trade for the bass. :)
  10. fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    Hi Malabito , I highly reccomend you get ANY kind of fairly cheap backup bass to play and gig around Caracas.When I lived there(about 4 years ago), and played and gigged around, 2 times my bass got stolen, One time from the trunk of my car(Musicman Stingray 5) and another at gunpoint from a cab driver(Cheapo WAshburn 6 string).And Now the the insecurity has gotten worse , it would be a shame that something happened to your nice MTD 535.
  11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    omg....gun point for a washburn...sheesh it is bad.;)
    look for something really cheap......

12. thanks for the adive, I am going to buy the Ibanez ATK 300 (the one that planet boulder is selling in the clasiffieds), well its going to be really a trade. :bassist:

Fello: is really sad to hear what happen to you, the worst part is that is occuring every day more often, and we are getting use to it. :(