Backup basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by addylewis, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Do you take them onstage WITH you or leave them backstage?

I've seen people do both, personally I like to have mine in clear view on a stand behind me so it won't get nicked from backstage - it may be advertising the fact theres something else to steal if you have it on a stand behind you but I've found it's quick and easy to swap over and most people aren't gonna steal it when your so close to it...
  2. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    onstage of course. the best way for a "quick switch" if needed.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    On Stage, or just off stage. I prefer it right behind me next to my amp for a quick switch.
  4. I keep one on a stand behind me, and both of mine plugged into an A/B box with one output to my amp, that way, I can switch between songs. Then again, one's tuned DGCF and one's normally tuned, so neither counts as a "backup" per se, but either could be a backup with a quick retuning.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If I have room, I have both basses on stands on stage... except when I'm playing one, of course. :p If I don't have room, I keep the backup on a stand offstage. If there's no room for that, then it's in its case as close to the stage as possible.

I don't often need the backup, but like all the spare gear I carry to gigs, it provides peace of mind. Better to have it and not need it, yadda yadda.
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I keep it on stage on a stand, especially if it's an alternate I know I'll be using for a couple of tunes. Otherwise I'll sometimes leave it in its case behind my rig. My favorite arrangement is at The Fire in Philadelphia, which has hangers on the wall for your backup(s).
  7. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    On stage,between the bass stack and the drummer (rather than the 'wing' side of the stack. If there isn't room for it on stage, I am more inclined to leave it in my vehicle than just laying in it's case backstage. Things 'go missing' very easily and very quickly.
  8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I mounted a guitar hanger on the side of my 8x10 cab so that I can keep my backup on stage but out of the way. Also this is much more secure than having it on a stand that can be knocked over by a crazy singer or a drunk fan that just has to get onstage. My primary bass hangs on the front of the cab on breaks.
    I the future when people start realizing how famous I think I am, I will have my tech hand me a different bass every couple of songs.:D
  9. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    thats an excellent attitude.

I keep mine it its case , open on the stage next to my rig.
    I dont like stands, some of the stages bounce and stands tip when your rockin out!
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    99.99% of the places I play don't have a backstage area. :)
  11. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Most of the places I play are cramped for space, and definitely don't have anything I could call a *backstage*. :p
    Not without fibbing.

I keep my backup bass somewhere on the premises, but not on the stage. If something failed on the primary, I'd be able to get the backup out of the bag and tuned up fast enough.
    If it happened in the middle of the song, then that song is toast. Stuff can happen. But, at the gigs I play, most people wouldn't notice or care. :p
  12. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i use a "backup" for different sound, not for actual backing up... lol. but yea, it sits in a stand like 3 feet away from me.
  13. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I keep mine on stage.

14. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    I keep mine on stage in plain view. You look much cooler that way! :)
    Actually, it's more for peace of mind. I like to know where it's at at all times and available for quick switches if required.
  15. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Onstage in direct view. Slime tends to have sticky fingers.
  16. tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    Thats a great idea...wish I had an 8X10 to do it with.

Always a spare bass on stage near me.
  17. on stage on a stand right next to my amp, but i barely take my ibbi any more, the KSD is just too much of a work horse, and its greedy and wants the whole gig