1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Backup for stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ashiin, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ashiin

ashiin

Jul 30, 2006
    Hong Kong
    I need an inexpensive bass that could match up to the tone of a musicman stingray. My two pretty old basses can't keep up to the tone and i need something to back up my stingray if something happened to it.

So are there any cheaper basses that could sub for a stingray's punchy tone?

2. Not to make the obivious suggestion but how about a MM S.U.B. or an OLP?

3. ashiin

ashiin

Jul 30, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Yea i was considering both of them, but i wanted a different look on my backup bass, so hence no S.U.B or OLP. Sorry for not putting in the details

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Ibanez ATK.

5. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Find a used Hamer with the MM pup. Nice bass for the money, StingRay type tone. They had one a few years back that was in an oil finish and I believe it was made out of wenge, but I am not sure. I wish I could remember the name of the bass...might have been a Slammer. ESP also had a single MM pup bass some years ago...surf eBay and see what you come up with. The Ibanez is also a great suggestion.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ibanez ATK

7. Ibanez ATK or the TBC bass with a single humbucker.

lowsound

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Get a USA Millennium. A SR5 HH and USA Millennium V are my 1-2 punch.

9. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    +1 - I'd like to pick one of these up myself...

10. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    +1 on the TBC option

11. stitchbass

stitchbass

May 20, 2006
    Virginia Water
    Check out the Dean Sledgehammer Ash. If I was not in the process of making a custom bass I would get one as a backup for my musicman and maybe stick another humbucker in there! It looks like a sweet instrument and I bet with that 2 band preamp and solid body ash and maple neck combo it would punch with the best of the musicmans!