1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Backup Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AxtoOx, Mar 11, 2010.

1. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I've had an SVT-CL go out on me at 2 shows now and had to use a backup amp (tubes). Switching from the 810 to 210 ain't cutting it.
    I want to just carry a spare hybrid head and use my 810.
    1) How many watts can I get by w on an 810 using a Hybrid.
    2) any suggestions.

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I am currently running the SVT 4Pro with the 810E. I also got a hold of a rebuilt 4bR which can also do the job. Lastly is the svT450H......:cool:

3. I did stage crew (eg, plug in the bass player into the amp) doing bass for one of the smaller stages at a big festival here in NZ several summers, and the bass amp we had on our little stage was a big tube SVT on top of a 810 (cant remember the model except old and very very beefy. It ended up cutting out for some reason and so we ended up grabbing the backup amp from the mainstage: GK 800RB. Not only was it super reliable, to my ears it actually sounded better and punchier. Think about doing solid for back up purposes, cheaper and more reliable. IMO.

4. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Not sure how much $$$ you want to spend...

How about the new 15 pound SVT 7-Pro? 1000 watts of solid state driven goodness. ! tube in the preamp section. Only problem there is I'm not sure that anyone has them in stock right now...they sold pretty quick (thankfully that kept me from succumbing to GAS).

Or, GK 700RB-II or 1001RB-II. Coming from an SVT-CL though, I'm not sure what you'd think of the GK tone - and no tubes at all. I currently use a 1001RB-II and really like it. Nice clean sound but can get a little dirty if needed.

MarkBass gets a lot of good talk around here - although, I can't say I care for them at all. Portable, lightweight, but a little pricey if you ask me...nevertheless, an option.

Thought about the Ampeg SVT 3-Pro but I'm not sure if you'd run into an underpowering issue with the 810. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Good luck!

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'm looking $5-700 for a backup that may have to be used for a while. We gig about 6 times a month.
    I think I want a hybrid, the 3 pro is lacking in the testosterone.

6. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
  7. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    +1 for the GK800RB as a backup. You can find them used for 250-350ish...

I recently got a Mesa Big Block 750 (hybrid) as a backup for my SVT. The overdrive channel lets you dial in a respectable tube grind. AND it will run at 2 Ohms for those days you need to run two fridges.

I think there are a couple of BB750s in the TB classifieds right now.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 BB750 is a great choice.

9. G-K Fusion 550! Call or email www.rmcaudio.com for the selling price. Three tube preamp and 500 watts of class D.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if it's an older 810e or before, round about 400w is what they top out at. if it's from like the late 90's till now, they can take probably close to the 800w they claim, although you can also get them to bottom out with what seems like less wattage if you use a lot of low end. i'd probably go no higher than 500w myself. that will get you aout as loud as a cl at its highest clean volume.

i used to use a markbass lmii as a backup because of all the hybrids or ss amps i played, it sounded closer to a tube amp than any of them at the time. nowadays there are other amps that can do it as well or better, but i still like the markbass. and you can get them pretty cheap used.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    G-K 700rb-II, LMII, or NeoPak 3.5 would all work quite well for this application...

- georgestrings

12. I'd go for a Markbass F1. Small, strong, light and it even got some balls.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020