1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Backup Heads For Gigs...Most of You Use Em?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Question, most of you haul a backup head or rack to gigs? Most of the time I don't but I'm thinking it's probably not a bad idea. I could just leave it locked in the trunk of my car. Other option is I also typically keep a DI with me too. What do most of you out there do?

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    2x my 800rb quit working, fortunately it was during sound check each time. I had a DOD bass 30 multi fx with and just ran that to the pa. It sucks having to use only monitor to hear yourself though.

3. That's so true.

I don't have a backup for my Trace V8 for now but I'm getting a Sansamp in case my amp's tubes die on stage... Plus I can't afford owning two rigs.

4. Yep - My SVT II Pro was suddenly losing it's oomph (overheating due to imporper case ventilation) - I did not know that, but I started carrying my tiny GK RCB200 (I can lift it with my pinky) - just in case. I actually had it sitting right on top of my SVT all ready to swap out if the SVT decided to go wonky.

Since then I have dealt with the ventilation issue and had the SVT overhauled and had NO problems since... (knock wood) - but I still carry the GK in my duffel. It does not take up too much room and for the added security, it is worth it.

--tz

5. nysurf2772

nysurf2772

Jun 20, 2005
    get a sansamp.....if your rig dies in the middle of a set your best bet is just to get more bass monitor from the sound guy

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I just carry a sansamp for any emergencies. I've never needed it.

7. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    i keep a sansamp pedal with me all the time and just bought a gk 800rb, hopefully i'm covered the next time my mesa decides to have a heart attack on me....

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I keep a very old GK 400RB (early eighties model) behind the seat in my truck at all times. Ocassionally, I fire it up on a gig just to make sure it's still working. It always is. And it always sounds GOOD! ;)

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    For more significant gigs, I leave my G-K 700RB in the trunk just in case. Otherwise, my Aphex Bass Xciter, which has a DI, is my backup.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It's certainly not a bad idea, but to be honest, I almost never bring a backup amp (though I could always play through my 'keybaord rig' if I had to). I used to throw my WWU in the car for this purpose, but since I started bringing the PA to most of our shows, I figure I can always go through the monitors (which happen to be EA and Glockenklang cabs, so I know they'll sound good on bass! :D).

But in the 'do as I say, not as I do' category, I should add that bringing a backup head would be a wise move. ;)

Tom.

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Our band has racks with two of the same power amps for each of the three we use (two each for the monitors, mains and subs), so there is always a spare to quickly switch to if one fails.

We also bring the Peavey Mark III bass head along (that I use for band rehearsals) in case my Eden head dies. Knock on wood, I haven't had the need for it.

My guitarist also has a spare Fender amp along. We just keep his and my spares in the band trailer at gigs if we need it. The keyboardist can just run through monitors if her amp fails.

We blew a mains amp at one gig, since then we never go to a gig without a spare anymore. If you've got the cash, spares are so nice to have...just in case. :D

12. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i'd like to, but for now i'm doing the dual back up system- if my power amp fails i'll use my pre to the board, or if the pre fails my power amp is able to take an instrument level input, and i've thought about selling my petersen vs-2 to get a strobostomp jut for the di, but I can't bring myself to do it. I'll just get a whirlwind or something......

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    LOL Tom! You had enough amps at your last gig to power THREE bands!

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    With a two-channel amp in my bass rig and several in the PA rack there's always a way to repatch if something goes down. And I always have a spare contingent of cables and adapters and a rack preamp (in case the V-Bass should go down) under the utility lid in my van. But in four years or so it's just collected dust.

But better safe than sorry.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, then there's that... :D

16. It's one of those things we should probably all do in a perfect world, but something I don't since I don't have roadies or an unlimited cash supply. I figure there's always at least some sort of P.A. at a gig, if an amp goes down I can just go D.I. I might be able to tell the difference on stage, but the audience will still be able to hear me even if the tone isn't the greatest.

I always have a backup bass, backup cables, backup tuner. I don't mind hauling around the light weight and/or cheap stuff.

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I have a backup bass too. But I haven't brought it to a gig for years. I do have pre-cut backup strings and a string winder however ; }

18. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    Yeah...always ready, but never used!

I use two SVT-3PRO amps("clean" one always on, "distorted" one used as an effect, like using a distorion pedal, but "better" for me) with the third,spare amp, in the rolling rack with the UninteruptedPowerSupplies (no-breaks) that give us clean, stable AC for the backline at our shows here in Mexico, where the power isn't so dependable.

19. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I the late 60s,in my band I used multiple Fender amps,so I had backups,,then in 70 I got an Acoustic 360 with two Acoustic 361 cabinets, which I used for the next 3 years without a backup( although I did add another 361) but nowdays I think its wise to bring my practice head (Hartke 3500) to back up my Yorkie 800...(I'm more responsible now)...I also have a Sansamp DI...Peace...DAcat:cool:

20. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I don't bring an extra head, but I do bring my trusty Radial JDI. It's passive, built like a tank, and sounds great. I also bring spare fuses and a tube if needed.

I never brought a spare head, but if I did, I'd use an AI Focus II. It weighs about as much as a box of cigars, and can fit in some gig bags.