Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Backwards" RIC 4001 tuners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBaron, Aug 20, 2001.

1. BassBaron

BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Does anyone know if the tuning machines on 4003's are the normal counterclockwise-to-sharpen arrangement? I never liked the backwards 4001 ones, especially when switching basses live. I was thinking of ordering 4003 tuners from RIC.

2. My '98 4003 features the new schaller "vintage" tuners, the ones you're takling about. I think you can replace yours winth these... they are stronger.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    But which way do you turn them to sharpen?

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    if you wind the strings anticlockwise you'll have your tuning machines work in the way you want without changing them;)

5. I turn them counterclockwise-to-sharpen. The same way as you turn Fender or MM tuners.

6. BassBaron

BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    but then the string would be going off at an even bigger angle possibly causing the string to bind in the nut. It looks like getting 4003 tuners will work (my 23 year old tuners are getting sloppy anyway!)

7. JJR

JJR

Jan 7, 2001
    Idaho
    Yes, the new 4003 tuners work in the "correct" direction. I've replaced all my old 4001 tuners w/ these and RIC seems to price them reasonably (about $40 a set last time I did it).

Not all 4001's had this problem, just certain years in the late 70’s - early 80’s. Weird.

I once tried barroso's suggestion. Bad things happen when you do that. Bad, bad things. ;)