Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bad a$$ bridge question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Sep 12, 2002.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a BadassII on my Palaedium, and replaced the stock bridge on my Fender MIM Jazz with a BadassII.

IMO

Good:
    * Looks Cool
    * High Mass changes sound characteristics of the bass in a way some people claim they like. This change is very subtle.
    * High Mass changes play feel.

Bad:
    * Very Expensive - Gotoh replacement bridge has the same effect for half the price.
    * The strings have to go through a "slot" that has to be custom cut in the metal of the bridge for your configuration.

3. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I have one on my K5. The advertised "increase in sustain and clarity of notes" is no baloney.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    He's not kidding! I put one on my Yamaha BB series P-Bass, and it is WORLDS above that stock bridge. Much more mass...I'd say appx. 3 times the size and weight, but the sound has MUCH more depth and fullness. I used the old strings when I put this bridge on to make sure I got an accurate idea of the benefits, and it totally changed that bass! It just feels stronger, and the sound is so much fuller and stronger.

Now it's time for that Moses Graphite neck...:D

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Have one, love it. Some people say that it will suck the lows from your bass, and I DIS-agree. All in all, a really good bridge.

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    SUSTAIN for days!:D

7. T-birdfan

T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    They are excellent, but don't buy that used one in the auction. The slots cut into the saddles are for someone else's bass and this could cause you problems on your bass. I got mine on ebay brand new in the package from the company itself. They only have a slight blemish that would not allow them to ship them to the dealers, so they decided to start selling them on ebay for 1/3 they cost. The blemish on mine was a slight scratch that you have to look for to see. Well worth the money, and Sadie Quan was a real treat to deal with. Try it out.

8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Bad-Ass allows me to set the action as I like it-tight & low, and retains intonation beautifully when set. Like others mentioned, they SUSTAIN!
    I replaced the OEM bridges on both my '69 P-Bass
    & 70-something Mustang Bass with BadAss-
    Highly recommended.

9. I put one on a mexi jazz about three months ago. It's really noticeable ... I get really great sustain now... with the knobs set just right, I can get an awesome j-growl ... I can't imagine what a decent set of pickups would do.

Here's a place where you can get em pretty cheap

http://www.guitarlab.net/23/cat23.htm?433

10. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    T-birdfan is right on this one. If the saddle notches don't line up just so, you'll most likely have problems. It's best to buy new. I got mine at dguitarparts at a great price. Ordered it on Sunday, received it on Saturday.

11. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Awesome info everyone, thanks. I have been thinking of getting the Geddy Lee jazz from Fender and it has one stock so I was just curious about them. I wish that bass was US made, not Japanese but oh well. Great info once again, thanks.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Don't worry about that. The Japanese Fenders are just as good as the USA ones in my experience.

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Great tone! adds more lows and highs IMHO. No regrets.