1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad active circuit on brand new Sire m2 5 gen2, any help appriciated!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Daniel Grenehed, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Daniel Grenehed

Daniel Grenehed

Mar 3, 2020
    So i just got my brand new Sire m2 5 gen2 bass and i like it, but i noticed something strange with the active circuit. I can run it in passive mode and it works fine but when switching to active mode, i can run it for about one minute then it starts to distort and the volume starts to fade away til its inaudible.
    I first thought i had some bad batteries, but the same thing happened when i put in some fresh from the store batteries. The batteries don't seem to be draining super fast, since i can disconnect then reconnect one of the batteries and i get the same result: It works for about one minute then starts to distort and fades away.
    I have looked at the electronics and the solder joints seems to be ok, but are not too well done.

Have anyone had something like this happen, and if so, how did you fix it?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Call Sire service and get a replacement preamp! Don't try to mess with the preamp innards yourself...

mustBmtd and kodiakblair like this.
  3. mustBmtd

mustBmtd Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    Had similar problems, Sire did reach out. But only on the bases of buying another preamp. Went a step further and dropped in the preamp I had in mind after all. My M7 5string is a 2 headed beast now.

4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Make sure you're using a "TS" (mono) type cable and not a "TRS" (stereo) cable as those won't work on active basses.

5. madshadows

madshadows

Sep 29, 2013
    London UK
    I bought a M2 at the end of Feb and the active circuit stopped working after a few weeks, very disappointing, contacted the seller (Anderton's in the UK) but still waiting to hear back, it's been a week since I raised the problem !!, great bass though even if it's only playable passive ;)

John

6. masomusic

masomusic

Feb 12, 2020
    The Netherlands
    Sire version 2’s have often cold solderings in general. I have had it in several P7’s and could fix it myself by resoldering some wires from the preamp to the specific pots. Sire company doesn’t heat the solder-to parts enough obviously and then those cold joints/connections will arrise after a while.
    Wires under the hood are a mess, it’s time consuming to allign them neatly and shows why it’s a relative cheap instrument. Handwork is minimal and done too quickly.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021